• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake shift interlock + remote starter issues

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I have everything hooked up correctly. After remote starting, the vehicle starts properly, then shuts off.....starts it another 2 times (3 start attempts) and after each time, the vehicle shuts off. What is wrong?
Also, what is the brake sense wire? One diagram (The12Volt's) said the white wire coming out of the brake switch. I hooked it up to that and the remote starter isn't getting an indication that the brake is being pressed. However, that wouldn't be causing me my "shut off" problem after the vehicle is started remotely.
Secondly, my brake shift interlock went away. All wires are intact. It is supposed to lock you out of shifting out of park when your foot is on the brake, but mine isn't doing that anymore. It lets me shift out of park whenever I want, with or without the foot on the brake.
Any ideas? Vehicle is a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Country.
This is frustrating me, especially since the cold weather is basically here. Thank you!

if the brake is pressed will the car is "remote stated" it will shut down for security reasons. hook up the wire and see if that fixes you problem.

second you must have wired somthing up wrong. the brake interlock should not have been touched. just take a minute or two to run over the diagram.

also i do not mean to make you feel small but i always mess sumthing up. and then slowly go over every thing and end up finding the little thing i missed.

Yes, I know - I have the "brake sense" wire hooked to the white wire coming out of the brake switch, which is what the diagram say. If I do the "cool down" (Car stays running after key is taken out) the brake has no effect on turning the vehicle off. Which wire is the wire I need to actually hook to brake sense?

Secondly I did NOT Foul anything up with the "brake shift interlock" mechanism. It was put it by the dealer in a June and it worked, up until recently.

Jeep stops 5 seconds after remote starting...ideas?

Ok, I fixed the brake shift interlock. I simply unplugged the connector on the interlock "solenoid" (cylinder on the steering column) and it now works again. Also I figured out the brake sense I needed was the black wire, as it is the brake sense negative. So that portion (brake sense and the interlock) is back to NORMAL! Yay.

However, I still have the problem where after remote starting the jeep, it turns off after 5 seconds. Why is it doing this? Tach sense was learned correctly - any other ideas? Thank you!

Ok, here's another update. Two wiring diagrams were wrong for the tach wire, and I finally got it on the third attempt. The remote starter workes flawlessly now!

However, the brake shift interlock is back to not working. Just by touching the cylinder thing that controls the interlock, the function has disappeared. I checked all wires and everything is fine. I don't know what kind of crap is going on here, but it seems that just by touching it, I'm back at where I started with this interlock bushwa.

Well there was a point where I couldn't shift out of park, but I got it to work normal now. IT seems the lockout module they used is pretty cheap, as bumping if with your hand really fawks it up. I got it the way it is supposed to work, and secured it down really good. Thanks Daimler Chrysler for a flawless mechanism!

Back