• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 lube

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, in the middle of swaping in a ford 8.8 with 4.10's and a tracloc. I was planning on running 80W-90 standard gear oil with a tube of LS additive. Then I ran across a little metal tag while cleaning up the axle that states to use only synthetic 80W-140. What are those of you running 8.8's using and does anyone know of any reason that with additive you couldn't run standard gear oil on this axle? Thanks.

i have a mixture of like 3 different types of lubes haha, no joke so i wouldnt be too worried about it. Be advised though it takes like 8 quarts or something rediculous since the gear oil fills the axle tubes as well, unlike on a front axle.

Here's a webpage with the capacity chart:
http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/quickref/axlelube.pdf

Also, if the tag says 80W-140 I'd just use that.

Another webpage I found listed this info:
Rear Axle Limited Slip 5.5 - 5.8 pts 75W140 High Performance Synthetic Axle Lubricant.
Add 4oz of additive Friction Modifier C8AZ-19B546-A Ford
Spec EST-M2C118-A for complete refill of Trac-Lok Axles.

Rear Axle Conventional
5.5 - 5.8 pts 80W90 Axle Lubricant

If you buy the Redline Gear Oil it already contains the friction modifier.

So its looking like somwhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 to 3 quarts and the synthetic recomendation is due to the LS....

Be advised though it takes like 8 quarts or something rediculous since the gear oil fills the axle tubes as well, unlike on a front axle.

That info it totally wrong.

Not the first time you've been wrong about stuff.

Might be better off to not give your .02 sometimes.

Ford FSM calls for 5.5 pints!

WAY too much gear oil if you're filling the tubes.

Hey thanks canman! eff off! and i said, "8 quarts or something", not exactly 8 quarts. Buuut you quoted me, so I'm sure you read that?

Hey thanks canman! eff off! and i said, "8 quarts or something", not exactly 8 quarts. Buuut you quoted me, so I'm sure you read that?
BIG difference btween 2.5-3 qts vs 8qts!

icon_rolleyes.gif

Like RCP Phx said, 8 quarts is FAR off from 3 quarts. You DO NOT need to fill the tubes with gear oil, on any axle! Your info is bad, so you're telling me to eff off? Thanks, I like those comments.

Remember, insulting another member(or user) can earn you a violation quick, FYI.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Like RCP Phx said, 8 quarts is FAR off from 3 quarts. You DO NOT need to fill the tubes with gear oil, on any axle! Your info is bad, so you're telling me to eff off? Thanks, I like those comments.

Remember, insulting another member(or user) can earn you a violation quick, FYI.

Fill the axle tubes? No. On some axles you do need to fill it enough that you have gear oil in the tubes as the wheel bearings are lubed by the gear oil. The D35 c-clip for example.

That info it totally wrong.

Not the first time you've been wrong about stuff.

Might be better off to not give your .02 sometimes.

Ford FSM calls for 5.5 pints!

WAY too much gear oil if you're filling the tubes.

actually, can man said 5 or whatever it was.

And can man, threaten me as you wish - but you were insulting me too.
As always,READ more,POST less!

When I first put my 8.8 in, I used the synthetic also. But at almost $17 per qt, thats waaaay to much to be changing on a regular basis. When I got it regeared, the shop used reg dino oil, I put the additive in later. No problems, about 3000ish miles since the regear.

Thats what I was wondering...if you have the LS additive why would the regular stuff not work? Isn't that the point of putting the additive in to begin with? Change the friction properties of the oil to allow some slippage between the clutch surface and the plates. I know physically that synthetic oils are "slipperier" that the stuff from the ground but will it really make any difference. Not too worried about quantity, fill'er up to the fill plug. Just wanted to see if anyone had any real world negative effects from not running synth.

Back