• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 Linking the rear

Chad29860

NAXJA Forum User
I have been pondering the option of 4 linking the rear of my cherokee and running coil overs on it. I would do this when I long arm the front. I would like to run it triangulated so that there is no need for a trac bar. I know a guy that has done this to his wrangler and he said that the street manners are better than stock. Can anyone give me any input on the idea or maybe some measurements to go by if you have done this with positive turnout. Thanks in advance.

Chad29860 said:
I have been pondering the option of 4 linking the rear of my cherokee and running coil overs on it. I would do this when I long arm the front. I would like to run it triangulated so that there is no need for a trac bar. I know a guy that has done this to his wrangler and he said that the street manners are better than stock. Can anyone give me any input on the idea or maybe some measurements to go by if you have done this with positive turnout. Thanks in advance.

Leaf spring suspensions are fairly predictable, and easy to modify. Link suspensions are far harder to design for best performance, and hard to package for best performance. It's easy to get it wrong, or at least far from ideal, and end up with lousy handling. Regarding your buddy who said his YJ handles much better, there are considerable variables involved in that statement, you may or may not be able to easily duplicate it.

What performance are you wanting out of the links, to improve on what you now have with the leaves?

Here its never about how much lift you got its basicaly how much travel, since we have no rocks its mostly fast stuff ( similar to prerunning), so we are looking for minimum lift with maximum travel.

About the YJ he told me its far better on road , handling & comfort & he has around 10" of travel which is good for absorbing the bumps

To get 12" of 2.5" springs you fairely need tall springs & there is no place for that in the rear.

I was messing with the 4link calculator ( exel) & some programs ( susprog3d & suspension anayzer) i aimed at 70% antisquat & thought of using Stock front coils with 140lb/in & 17" total length sitting on the unibody rails would give a similar amount of travel ( Since mounting them outboard to the rails I d need a huge amount of backspacing & running 215s )

Back