• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel bearing or axle?

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.5" lifted 90. I have an adjustable trackbar to correct left to right axle position. I have stock UCAs and 16" (eye center to eye center) LCAs. I had 8" wide wheels with about 4" of back-spacing. Now I have 8" wheels with 3.25" back spacing. I have this noise and vibration, almost like riding the rumbe strip (?) on the sides of highways. I can't feel it in the steering where, but it vibrates the change in my center console. It comes and goes at speeds above say 45 mph. It isn't affected by acceleration, turning the steering wheel or braking; but it changes pitch when I hit bumps in the road.

In my experience with cars, bad wheel bearings make noise when you turn left or right, but only in one direction. I have no experience with axles however, except u-joints and I know it is not and axle u-joint.

Does anyone have an idea of what it is, or how I can accurately diagnose this problem. Thanks.

put the rear axle on jackstands and have a friend spool the drive train up to the target speed. then get under there and listen to the bearings in the axle, pumpkin and trans. I have encountered a vibe from bad u-joints in the drive shaft before, so don't be so quick to rule that out. just be careful with all the spinning hardware.

I will give that a shot. How hard is it to get the front tires up to 45-55 mph by hand?

Also, I was talking about the axle shaft u-joint out by the wheelsa. I have had a couple of those go bad on my Jeeps and I know they are not the culprit now.

Dmanti said:
Transfer-case problem?

Haha, why do you say that? Did you see my post from about a month ago about my TC? I do have another TC to put in, just have to find the time. The noise is definitely coming from the front though.

Would the front DS being low on grease cause any problems like this or another problem? When I put the lift in in August, I squeezed a good sized gob of grease out dropping the axle to get the springs in and I never regreased it.

make sure the axle nuts on the end of the hubs (front axle) are very tight.. If you want to swap that t-case let me know and we could prolly do it here if you wanted. Would only take an hour and a half or so.

four_shot said:
put the rear axle on jackstands and have a friend spool the drive train up to the target speed. then get under there and listen to the bearings in the axle, pumpkin and trans. I have encountered a vibe from bad u-joints in the drive shaft before, so don't be so quick to rule that out. just be careful with all the spinning hardware.

Sorry dude, that just DOES NOT sound safe to me...
If my jeep is on Jackstands and my tires are at highway speed, I am not going near it, let alone under it.

Have you checked your tires for un-even wear? My Audi has horrable wear on my front right tire, it is obvious on a street tire. I moved it to the rear possition, and the noise followed. I only got rumble at 45+, you may try this, I think it is safer then sticking your head in a place it may not come back from.

xalexjx said:
make sure the axle nuts on the end of the hubs (front axle) are very tight.. If you want to swap that t-case let me know and we could prolly do it here if you wanted. Would only take an hour and a half or so.

I might. I have tried swapping it before, but I found out the hard way that a 1990 NP231 won't mount up to a 1992 AW4. If I was to come down ther, it would mostly be to go wheeling or to get you to tell me how shitty my Jeep is:gee: and how to make it better:lecture: . I have enough experience and confidence to turn wrenches and such, but none in the fabrication department. I am a perfectionist, but am far from a perfect fabricator.

HotwiredXJ said:
Sorry dude, that just DOES NOT sound safe to me...
If my jeep is on Jackstands and my tires are at highway speed, I am not going near it, let alone under it.

Have you checked your tires for un-even wear? My Audi has horrable wear on my front right tire, it is obvious on a street tire. I moved it to the rear possition, and the noise followed. I only got rumble at 45+, you may try this, I think it is safer then sticking your head in a place it may not come back from.

I didn't even notice he said to jack up the rear axle...

My problem is in the front and it seems to come and go while driving down the road for now reason. It is doing it quite a bit more since going from 31x10.5 MTs on 15x8 rims with about 4" of back spacing to 33.12.5 MTs on 15x8 rims with 3.25" back spacing. I also, swapped out the stock LCAs with the ones from my original post at the same time. I found it odd that it would change in loudness, (not pitch, sorry), over like wavy parts in the road. All the roads around here are shitty, even the good ones.

I'm thinking it is the wheel bearing the more I think about it. I'm just going to have to get under it and check stuff out.

stop at sears or a parts store and get a mechanics stethoscope. you'll use it again i garantee it.

IF you decide to try it, you can still spool the front up to speed by setting all four corners on jackstands and putting it into 4HI. spinning by hand isn't gonna happen. set the stands under the axles, not the unibody. and mind your body position, you should be fine.

spool it up once or twice before you get under there to see how it will act.

The ideal thing to do would be to set the truck on a lift and do this but I'm assuming you don't have this resource.

worst case scenario, take it to a shop...lol

My bet is the tires,you said it started after the change.What tires are you running?

four_shot said:
stop at sears or a parts store and get a mechanics stethoscope. you'll use it again i garantee it.

IF you decide to try it, you can still spool the front up to speed by setting all four corners on jackstands and putting it into 4HI. spinning by hand isn't gonna happen. set the stands under the axles, not the unibody. and mind your body position, you should be fine.

spool it up once or twice before you get under there to see how it will act.

The ideal thing to do would be to set the truck on a lift and do this but I'm assuming you don't have this resource.

worst case scenario, take it to a shop...lol

After verifying that you are indeed saying what you are saying, you are NOMINATED !

at 4.5" lift, you need longer upper and lower control arms. when your hitting bumps in the road, your caster angle is changing and also the pinion angle is changing. i would say it could be a caster issue or the front drivshaft ujoints are binding. try driving without the front driveshaft.

it could also be the new tires causing the problem

four_shot said:

OH...MY...GOD...

Tommy4949 said:
I will give that a shot. How hard is it to get the front tires up to 45-55 mph by hand?...

LMFAO!!! I don't even know what to say...

Back