• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Wheel Bearing renewel 96 XJ

WreckerL

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there all Im new to this Forum and have problem with removing the rear wheel bearings on my XJ. I tried removing the passenger side a couple of weeks ago to no avail. Looking at the Haynes Manual and also OEM manual.
Do i need to remove Diff cover and remove the circlip on the inner bearing to be able to pull out the half shaft.

regards WreckerL:attom:

WreckerL said:
Hi there all Im new to this Forum and have problem with removing the rear wheel bearings on my XJ. I tried removing the passenger side a couple of weeks ago to no avail. Looking at the Haynes Manual and also OEM manual.
Do i need to remove Diff cover and remove the circlip on the inner bearing to be able to pull out the half shaft.

regards WreckerL:attom:

What rear axle are we dealing with? D35? D44? 8.25? What year rig too?

Yea, to remove the axle shaft, remove the tires and drums, remove the diff cover, remove the bolt or spring pin holding in the cross shaft, push axle inwards, and the C Clip will fall out, pull alxe out, and you will have access to the wheel berrings.

Thanks alot for your help CanMan
The Manuals were not to specific about going into the the Diff but the drawing I had did show a circlip on the end of the shaft

just did my 8.25, interesting minor obstacles,

pm me or just reply and i'll go through some tricks and tips i otherwise would never have dreamed of.

WreckerL said:
the drawing I had did show a circlip on the end of the shaft

The "C" clip is held in a groove in the gear carrier and slips / falls out when the axle is pushed in slightly.

I recently changed the seals in my 8.25 and since I had some time to kill waiting for parts I just happened to have snow chains on checking for fit. Holding the wheel by the chains sure made it easier to re-install the axle without hurting the seals. ALSO; with the 8.25 (I haven't done a Dana) the seals were a VERY tight fit. I needed to to freeze the seals, heat the seat with a heat gun and work fast with a rubber mallet to get them in.

Mike

Back