• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vfat system error - computer problems

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Gateway-Win98. Won't start up says it has a Vfat error.
VFAT Device Initialization Failed

A device or resource required by VFAT is not present or is unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading.

System halted

Already tried the walk through here but none of them seemed to work.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139063
And I couldn't get them to run from the command prompt so I just found the files and edited them with notepad in safe mode. Does the same thing right? Any other hints or tips? No new software has been added, nothing downloaded basicly is a old computer thats pretty much only used to write reports on and some internet use(emails, im, research). TIA

Stick the 98SE cd in and reinstall the os. Unless you are doing this as an exercise of some sort...

Weasel said:
Has files they need to keep, gonna use floppies I guess then reformat.

cd C:\
mkdir keepers
copy [files you want to keep].* c:\keepers
boot with win98 cd and do a reinstall, just don't format the HD, it will overwrite the exisiting files w/o deleting the non windows stuff.

If your computer has more than 2Gb RAM that might have something to do with it.
Also, I have the same problem.
I am suspecting that uninstalled drivers for sound card or TV card or DVD burner, USB devices may be contributing factors.
I did use a n OEM version of win98 SE which might be doing some screwy things.
I also have System Commander 9 with windows XP already installed and I am trying to install another operating system to run some old software I have.

I am trying to run Hodog5.5 WebMaster Suite (HTML Editor) which does not run on XP.

You can go into edit and see what changes have been made to your config.sys files, boot files and sys.ini files. They backup when they change.
Just for the heck of it, check the fan on your processor. They overheat and boot or the Windows load, pretty much stops at the same point every time. Reinstalling doesn't help much if at all. You can get the same trouble message repeatedly, which may have nothing to do with the actual problem.
Pretty much the same thing with hardware conflicts, the trouble message may not have anything at all to do with the actual problem. Take a look at your device manager, if there are conflicts try deactivating that device.
I'm by no means an expert, but I've managed to stumble my way through every 95 and 98 problem I've ever encountered.
One big tip, print out (record someway) everything before you change anything, being able to backtrack can be really helpful.

Back