• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Wheel Axle Bearing and Seal Replacement

Thayer

NAXJA Member #1255
I tried changing my rear wheel axle (Chrysler 8.25) bearing and seal today. I rented the slide hammer with 3 jaw puller from Autozone and started pounding away. The bearing and seal didn't budge at all. Looking at the new parts compared to the axle tube opening, the press fit seems very tight. I see the FSM uses a special tool that pushes against the axle tube. I don't have access to such awesome tools. Does anybody have any tips for doing this job? Thanks.

You have a C-Clip axle which means it's held in place inside the axle housing. You need to take the rear diff cover off and remove the c-clips.
image043.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't think I explained my problem clearly. I took my axles out already. When I look into the axle tube ends, there's a seal then farther in there's a roller bearing. Those are the things I can't change out.

Remove the seal, then the inside snap-ring then pull the bearing.
You may also need to remove the brake backing plate.

Last edited:
Snap ring.....DOH....

How come neither the FSM or Haynes says anything about a snap ring? Haynes says to pry the seal out then just go at it with a slide hammer. The FSM says to just use their special tool that pushes against the axle tube to pop both out at the same time. So confusing...

Last edited:
Back