• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case quick question...help?

Mngreen

NAXJA Forum User
After searching posts for 2 hours and not finding anything that really answered my specific issue...here goes:

have been working on my old Cherokee (92 4x4), and after my 3 inch lift install, I began to get a really bad clunking, thunking, scary sound and feel, which got worse and worse, especially when decelerating. On both my previous XJs, this went away when I replaced rear ds u joints. Well, just did that and no change.
So now, a real dumba_ _ question-- could it be coming from my FRONT driveshaft, even when I am in 2wd? I'm thinking maybe replacing the front ds u joints could eliminate this? Also, how much "runout" is acceptable between the slip yoke and transfer case (rear driveshaft)? My angles don't look bad just by eyeballing them)...certainly not worse than in my other two XJs after lifting them 3.5 inches.
I don't rockclimb or even really wheel that much, just have the lift and 4wd to get me into some somewhat inaccessible fishing and hunting spots. Mostly just want to have a sound-driving Jeep that gets me from point a -b with occasional offroading.
BTW, this message board kicks everything else out there. Sound advice without a lot of flaming garbage. You guys have unknowingly helped me keep 3 different XJs on the road by helping me do 99% of what I needed to do all by my lonesome. THANK YOU.

I had that problem one time when I lifted the jeep it started making a very odd noise when I would speed up it was cool but when I let off the gas it made the clunck, My situation was a little differnt but I would say check the rubber boot on the t-case end of the yoke. You will be able to pull the boot back and see how much of the splines are still touching. That was how I found and fixed my problem butjust an idea though. Hope this helps some JOE>

It only takes a moment to disconnect/remove the front driveshaft, (1/2" and 5/16") so you could do that and see if the noise persists...

Also how much of the rear shaft slip-yoke 'machined seal area' is extending from your transfer case? GI John has a thread where his slip-yoke wore out... a YJ yoke (or other aftermarket parts) offers a bit more 'slip' and a bunch more droop before it binds. Typing correction fluid, touch-up paint, nail polish etc is handy to check parts for mechanical binds.

92 is 14 years ago, hows those engine & transmission mounts? Anonymous thunks from there for sure.

Mngreen said:
So now, a real dumba_ _ question-- could it be coming from my FRONT driveshaft, even when I am in 2wd? THANK YOU.
YES. You no not have locking hubs so your front driveshaft spins ALL the time.

We had a similar problem last weekend with an XJ and it was a U-Joint that had seized in his front DS. We replaced the u-joints and it is fine now.

I would take WOODY up on his advise and undo the 8 bolts on your front DS and spin it around the block. WORST CASE sceraio is that you spend 20 minutes doing it and eliminating the front drive shaft from your list of possibilities.

Back