• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Made some tail light boxes...

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
Had them made out of 12 gauge 304 Stainless steel. I wanted something that was inside the body line and tucked closer to the back of the Jeep. And it had to hold up to a good bash from a tree/rock. They bolted right up, but I am going to make some changes to the design to make it fit a bit better. Backup lights are in the bumper, and I used LED tail lights / turn siginals I got from a TA truckstop.

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/15/74/39080469-c576-01800200-.jpg

I have more pics at my clubphoto site. If anyone is interested, I can get the boxes made for around $80/set if there are 8 people that would like a set.

Andy

Last edited:
Not bad, but it looks like you're leaving your hatch out to dry. The fiberglass isnt going to like taking a hit instead of that light. I think the reason for the bigger boxes is to protect the hatch a little...

The fiberglass in that area will sustain a fairly decent amount of abuse. You'll notice a small chip in the edge of the hatch, which was sustained when I broke the factory tail light the last time by ripping the red/amber lens off from the side. Factory tail light extends past the edge of the sheetmetal on the side of the Jeep, making it very susceptible to breaking/ripping off if your real close to a tree or a rock. The sides of the hatch are even with the sides of the Jeep. My hatch has acted as a slider quite a few times and has held up well so far.

Back