• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2500 rpm cold start ups

Mojo Troll

NAXJA Forum User
The weather has recently turned cold here the past couple of weeks and my '88 XJ ocassionally shoots up to 2500 rpm's idle on the cold morning starts. It seams I have to kill the engine and restart from one to four times before it will start up at its normal 650 rpm idle. I have'nt had any problems with start ups in the afternoon when the weather is a little warmer.

It's a 4.0L, AW4. A fresh long block was installed (by a shop ) 10 months ago with less than 7,000 miles on the new motor. The TB was replaced with the new motor as well.

I'm no mechanic by any means. Would it be possible that the TB is sticking even though it's only 10 months old? How about a vacuum prob, or worse, electrical UGHHH?

If anyone out there has ran across this or can give me any leads as to where to start looking I would certainly apprechiate it.

Thanks for the help. After doing a search on TPS I found about two millon helpful post on this site alone. I simply did'nt know where to start.

Is'nt learning great;)

Back