• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Heads in 2023

FusiliJerry

NAXJA Forum User
Is Clearwater still the go-to for reman 4.0 heads? I've been searching far and wide and see some reviews noting some sloppy (but not terrible) machining here and there. Alternatively I've been on the lookout for a TUPY head on FB as there are no really good junkyards around me (Philly area) that I'd trust to get a head.

The "big valve" head interests me and would have me lean toward spending the extra dough, but the only thing I can find is a thread on Jeep Strokers about how its pretty much a thrown-together mess and little real-world accounts. Any thoughts?

I can't think of the name, but Russ uses a new one out of China now and is very impressed with them. I just used one recently on a stroker build he referred to me locally.

I've done 3 "big Valve' 4.0L heads. Two recently. I did use SB Chevy type valves. Stock after market springs on 2 of them. All said and done, I'd do it a bit differently. I'd probably get the 'kit' Russ Pottenger has. Chevy LS valves. I do have one of his ported cylinder heads. Excellent work. I want to say $300 for the LS Valve and Springs ect. from him. Though I saw that price a few years back. The head was around $1800, ported and LS valves etc.. Also, he CC the heads to match my stroker 'kit' from him, to what I wanted.
If you plan to port your heads, I get the book, by David Vizard, 'How to Port Cylinder heads, and Flow bench'. A lot of info in there. I reread it and still more info. I did use 1.950 Intakes and 1.55 and 1.560 exhaust valves. On my last two heads.
I haven't run any of those heads yet. I have to check the CC's in one for my mini-stroker. I'm looking for 9.5:1 static CR. So, I need about a 60cc Combustion chamber.

Don't know if this helps:
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/custom2.html
Also, if you want pics of what I did, then PM me your email.

Last edited:
Fwiw, a drive north to Harrys in Hazleton is worth your while. Did a lot of pick and pulling on the east coast years ago on row52 and they usually had a good selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Pottenger of Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, he is the king when it comes to the 4.0! He's on facebook or give him a call at 626-967-1000.

Fwiw, a drive north to Harrys in Hazleton is worth your while. Did a lot of pick and pulling on the east coast years ago on row52 and they usually had a good selection

I was there around Thanksgiving. I think about 5-8 XJ. There might be a few other PnP closer. Also, there is Bobs in New Ringold. There is one along 78. It had a few XJs. I'd look at Car-Parts,Inc for possibly heads near you. I did a search for someone in GA for a RENIX head. $100.
Also, planning on running a '99 head on my 2000 XJ. Will need to do the Viper Coil conversion at that point. Or brackets for the stock one.

I do wonder what the OP's plan is for this. Stroker, stock , cam change?

Last edited:
I went with Windy City Cylinder Heads off ebay for a remanufactured TUPY. Price was a bit better than Clearwater with better reviews as well. Has been on my Jeep since early 2021 with no issues.

I was there around Thanksgiving. I think about 5-8 XJ. There might be a few other PnP closer. Also, there is Bobs in New Ringold. There is one along 78. It had a few XJs. I'd look at Car-Parts,Inc for possibly heads near you. I did a search for someone in GA for a RENIX head. $100.
Also, planning on running a '99 head on my 2000 XJ. Will need to do the Viper Coil conversion at that point. Or brackets for the stock one.

I do wonder what the OP's plan is for this. Stroker, stock , cam change?

E. PA is a gold mine of pick and pulls. Theres a metric crap ton of them just around philly and bucks/delaware/montgomery co.

Junkyard barbie in feasterville/trevose…pick a part in morrisville…nicks in bristol…harrys in Pennsburg and Allentown… couple places in upper black eddy…. One in Lumberton NJ that isnt far from PHL (iirc this one is called old hwy 50something auto parts, if they are still in business)…

Theres 3 places in New Ringold last i knew. Bobs, Joes, and Zapranskis.

Car-part.com is a good start. Row52 is another good start, and you dont have to go pull it either should you choose

I cant edit my last post, but if anyone has a line on a yard a couple used wj’s, and you are headinf out can you look for the power steering pump and pm me? Also looking for a durango box to swap

E. PA is a gold mine of pick and pulls. Theres a metric crap ton of them just around philly and bucks/delaware/montgomery co.

Junkyard barbie in feasterville/trevose…pick a part in morrisville…nicks in bristol…harrys in Pennsburg and Allentown… couple places in upper black eddy…. One in Lumberton NJ that isnt far from PHL (iirc this one is called old hwy 50something auto parts, if they are still in business)…

Theres 3 places in New Ringold last i knew. Bobs, Joes, and Zapranskis.

Car-part.com is a good start. Row52 is another good start, and you dont have to go pull it either should you choose

Good to know but I don't recall these places coming up when I'd search for stuff on car-part. I'll have to check out their websites to see if they list their inventory (usually its just a car-part page with only their inventory).

To double back to the original issue; I wound up buying a reman TUPY head from a guy in central Jersey who bought it intending to do what I plan to and never got to it. Very light flash rust but otherwise as one would expect a reman to look. $250.

If your looking to port your own heads, I could take pictures of one of mine. I have it apart right now.

A lot of them are pick and pulls, so no inventory (other than “we have X vehicle at Y location and it was placed there on Z date”

I'm about to open up a junkyard 0331 tupy for very minor port/bowl blend and gasket match. Not sure about bigger valves though as it's not a stroker. I'd be interested in pics though for some ideas

I'll have to send pictures to emails, unless someone wants to host pictures. I do have one of my head apart. I need to open the Combustion chamber to 60cc. By the FMS the tolerance is 52-58 cc. Both of the heads I did recently from '99 XJ were around 56cc.
Also, I could see using Chevy LS valves, with '95 Melling stock springs, and 4.0L stock retainers and Chevy LS keepers. Keep the lift below .450.

Can you pm pics? Or I can pm my email

PM sent.
I did have a bit of a setback on my heads. While CC the heads, I notice that brass valve sleeves were not installed. POed me. Still, need to open up the CC's to 60cc.
I did look at the FSM for a 2000. The stock valve springs are rated at 76 ft-lb @ 1.625. Way less than I thought. Not sure what the '95's or HOs are.

Back