• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck at work- cranks but doesn't start

87woody-atl

NAXJA Forum User
It's a renix inline six with an auto, And I'm stuck at work now,.

I hear the fuel pump prime, and assoon as engine starts it dies, i drove to work with no problem an now the jeep is throwing a hissy fit, any idea what I should look to b the problem, keep in mind I have no tools

bypass the fuel pump ballast resister and unplug/re-plug the CPS. Usually one of the two will get it going if you're gonna do it w/out tools (assuming it's got gas...)

Ok, fuel pump primes the system, you start the engine, then the engine dies.

Sounds to me like the fuel pump relay is dysfunctional--all of the relays are the same so try swapping them, one at a time. And no, there is no definitive chart of which relay is which, it seems that changed over the years, might have been a joke at the assembly plant.

If you have the white ceramic ballast resistor on the driver's side fenderwell, pull the wires off of it and jumper them together, that is a known problem.

Back