• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shift knob

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
I have gone through two shift knobs. I tighten them too tight to get them to the exact orientation I like and the cheap plastic inside eventually fractures. Does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket knob? I want one that is just round so clocking won't matter. Also, one that threads on the actual shift lever and doesn't use the set screws or the like similar to junky ones sold at Walmart/Checker/Vatozone.

5 speed.

No round one, have an aluminum one with the AX15 shift pattern etched in it. It is threaded and has a knurled jam nut.

I had the same problem. Solved it by collecting up the fractured bits, and epoxying it all together. It's been that for at least 6 years now.

I did the same thing. Got a nice billet one, put it all together, loaded up the inside with JB weld, installed, and never had to wory about it again.

I found a billiard company online that makes them out of real billiard balls:

P2220059.jpg

I love the weight of it, just the right size for your hand too. It threads in and uses a jam nut.

Here's where I got mine:

http://www.epcomfg.com/shiftknobs-engraved-8ball-pushbutton.html

The other thing you could do it just buy a chunk of aluminum, lathe it to what you want, and drill and tap the inside so it fits on the stock threads. I'm sure the next owner would like it too.

Thanks for the comments, still soliciting ideas. The epoxy idea is closest to the winner so far. I'm OCD about the orientation, so the 8 balls wont work because I'll want the 8 perfectly up and down. That's why I want a non-descript round one that is sturdy. Kind of like DanMan's idea. Does anyone know the the thread of the shift lever? I have a shop at work I might be able to talk into spinning me a knob...hmm.

Metric, 10 mm 1.5

Thanks for the comments, still soliciting ideas. The epoxy idea is closest to the winner so far. I'm OCD about the orientation, so the 8 balls wont work because I'll want the 8 perfectly up and down. That's why I want a non-descript round one that is sturdy. Kind of like DanMan's idea. Does anyone know the the thread of the shift lever? I have a shop at work I might be able to talk into spinning me a knob...hmm.

You can get it perfectly straight, just back it off to straight then tighten the jam nut.

They also sell plain ones... just food for thought.

It was given to me as a present and actually it works very well. I wouldnt think twice about buying it. It decreased my throw drastically, looks much better, and makes gear engagement much cleaner.

Metric, 10 mm 1.5

Right on, thanks.

And thanks to you too Booking. I'm glad you like your shifter. It is bad-ass. I'm just cheap like that. I'll probably end up spending $200 on 10 shift knobs when it's all said and done. Are you going to Socal Fest? I might be there. I've run with some of the Socal guys before (Rick, Kyung, Santa, MattyJ) and had a blast so I'd like to make it. Maybe we'll meet.

NP, Yeah i should make it out there. Hope to meet you.

Back