• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valvebody rebuild, now no start

AaronsJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, anybody here ever do a valvebody re-build, put it all back, and have a no start scenario? 95 4.0 AW4, I did dis-connect the CPS and it started once and ran great until I shut it off, and then no start. I put a new CPS in it, same thing started once, it wont start again. Am I assuming correctly that this could be linked back to the re-build, and not the CPS? Or is the CPS connected to the re-build/solenoids?

Thanks for your advice,,,,,,:read:

Yeah, I've reflashed the computer a couple of times. And you're correct the NSS was never touched. I did yank the transfer case to change out the seal that was leaking. It might have been a freak opportunity to expose an ignition switch problem? I will continue to trouble and report back,,,,,

I did dis-connect the CPS and it started once and ran great until I shut it off, and then no start. I put a new CPS in it, same thing started once, it wont start again.

I don't see any direct correlation to your transmission work. I would still suspect the crank sensor circuit, most specifically the connector itself (clean with electrical cleaner) and every inch of exposed crank sensor wiring.

You're correct! It shouldnt have anything to do with each other. But why it started once more with a new CPS make's absolutely no sense to me. Oh and of course this problem never manifested itself before the tear down, which my only conclusion is to tear it down and start all over again, there must be a connection somewhere somehow?

Could there be something wrong with the fuel pump or the wiring to it? Also is that speed sensor on the back of the transfer case connected properly, though it should start regardless.

Bewildering isin't it? When it did start before I yanked it off the rack, it ran great. Shut it off to test, and nothing. I'm pulling everything back out just to reverse for installation, I hope I can figure out what exactly happened.:wow:

I still suspect wiring/connector. This really smells of electrical. Did you inspect/clean that crank sensor connector yet?

If you want to dig in further, check for spark when this occurs. If the crank sensor is bad, you will have no spark, nor will you have fuel supplied to the injectors. If you're handy with a meter, you could verify that the crank signal is making it into the engine bay (connector is near the firewall/#6 injector).

Well the problem was identified :confused1 it was the EFFIN CAM Sensor, or the piss poor connector, but either way it's running, and shifting like it otta :yelclap:. If anybody ever gets that crank no start problem CPS 1st, CAM 2nd and fuel delivery in between. THANKS NAXJA:exclamati

Back