• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine light flashing-wont start

mr2guy7

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here's the story... I was litterally 20' from my driveway when the check engine light started flashing, so i parked and shut it off and opened up my manual to see what it meant. I tried to start it back up to see if it would stop flashing and it won't start, it cranks though... also white smoke comes from the exhaust when i try to start it. So, does anyone know what it could be?

Ok, here's the story... I was litterally 20' from my driveway when the check engine light started flashing, so i parked and shut it off and opened up my manual to see what it meant. I tried to start it back up to see if it would stop flashing and it won't start, it cranks though... also white smoke comes from the exhaust when i try to start it. So, does anyone know what it could be?
what year, was it running rough previous to the flashing? does the exhaust smell like raw fuel? pull a plug or two see if its black or wet. Usually a flashing engine lamp means its really dumping fuel into it. bad plug(s) ,wire (s) ,cap/rotor or bad front 02 sensor. Its likely flooded

its an 01 but i was driving fine right up till the light came on and it started missing... i had changed the plugs about 2 months ago... the car only has 67000 miles on it- could the coil pack rail thing be bad already? Also the exhaust does smell like fuel

its an 01 but i was driving fine right up till the light came on and it started missing... i had changed the plugs about 2 months ago... the car only has 67000 miles on it- could the coil pack rail thing be bad already? Also the exhaust does smell like fuel
I'd make sure you have healthy spark on all cylinders before anything else. Nothing sucks more than throwing parts at it you dont need. I'm not familiar with the 01, so hopefully someone else has some tips for you. I do have mitchell on demand if you need any info,etc.

A flashing check engine light means that whatever is wrong has the potential to destroy your catalytic converter, and the Jeep should not be driven. Stop by a parts store and rent the CEL trouble code reader. The trouble codes you download will put you on the right path for diagnosing the problem.

Back