• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VERY slow speed consistent clunk (front)

quaggy

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and couldn't find the same problem.

I hear a consistent clunk in the front (sounds like front left). I can only hear it at VERY slow speeds. I can almost walk faster (maybe 1 mph). I marked the tire, and the sound occurs every rotation of the tire, at the same time every time. I think this rules out any bushing problems or drive shaft problems. The u-joint on the shaft looks good. I took the brakes off and cleaned and examined them. They look okay. Could it be inside the differential? Any other suggestions on where to look before I dump money into something that doesn't need replaced?

Front is a D30, non-disco, no locker. 96 XJ 4.0L.

?? Worn brake pad guides and a warped rotor?

Thanks for the replies. The axle u-joint looks good, but I guess you never really can tell. I didn't think about the wheel bearings.

I redid the brakes several months ago, so I think they are fine.

I guess I will have to shell out some cash and do the u-joints and wheel bearings and see if that fixes the problem.

Same problem, only happened in 4 wheel drive. I replaced drive shaft u-joints, axle u-joints, and wheel bearings. After all that I found that I had a transfer case problem. The chain was stretched. I just replaced it yesterday. So far I haven't heard the tap tap tap at slow speeds.

The chain was so loose that I was able to take if off the gears without removing the gears first.

I had a rattling noise that I thought was the front end at about 100k. I think this was the chain now.

This may not be your problem, but it "sounds" like what I was hearing. I thought it was coming from the driver's side front.

Back