• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise in 4 wheel drive

metalandmud01

NAXJA Forum User
just bought a '88 cherokee cause my old 1 threw a rod anyway its real nice jeep only problem with it is 4 wheel drive is noisey. guy i got it from said it always made the noise when he wheeled in it never had a problem but i think it has somethin to do with the 5in lift any ideas

anyone got any ideas i know its coming from the front i wonder if its the front end or driveshaft at too much angle it dosnt look to be though. anything i should check?

need more info on the lift components... a picture is worth a 1000 words...

check fluid levels/consistency(milkshake = bad) in both diffs, transfercase....

cant get a pic but its a 3in rc with 2in spacers and blocks would this amount of lift cause any problems that would make it noisey there are no vibs so im thinking its something in the front end

Okay, so it's more a rotational noise, right? Versus suspension or steering.

And if it's only in 4x4, we can probably rule out unibearings and axle joints, since they rotate all the time.

But since your 88 is (most certainly) a vacuum disco, the front diff and driveshaft don't. To isolate one or the other, you can pull the driveshaft. If the noise in 4x4 goes away, that was probably it, and you should look at the u-joints. If the noise continues, look at carrier and pinion bearings.

Now, all this assumed that you're not throwing it in 4x4 on pavement, are you?

That'll bind it up, and make some odd noises, too.

Robert

havnt used it on pavment but you hit the nail on the head with the type of noise and im kinda thinking the same as u about what it could be. its got new u joints and i turned the driveshaft by hand and it dosnt seem to be binding up. tomorow ill look at the diff, but still not positive its not the drive shaft thanks for the advice.

By "pull," I meant "remove."

It's only eight little bolts, and it'll tell you for sure whether that's your problem.

Good luck!

Robert

Back