• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding noise when put into 4 wheel drive.

Vexumy

NAXJA Forum User
I have posted this question on reddit, and they said to come to this website. I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country, inline 6, 4.0 and it is coming into winter time and crazy snow time where I live. The other day i tried putting my Jeep into 4 wheel drive Full Time, and it made a grinding noise. So I put it back into 2 wheel and it stopped. I tried it again to make sure if it was consistent. It is. My owners manual says I can put it into 4 wheel at any legal speed. I only did it at like, 15 because I didnt wanna blow something up. Someone said to try putting the car in N at around 4~ mph, putting it into 4 wheel Full Time, then putting it back into drive. I did that and it made the grinding noise again. After I put it into 2 wheel again, it stayed consistent for a couple of seconds, then I put it into reverse, backed it up a little bit to pull into my driveway, and then it stopped after I put it in drive. Anyone have any clue on what's going on, I appreciate your help.

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Lk2r6OmDw

The only difference between PT and FT is the engagement on the full-time planetary differential (engaged in FT, locked in PT). Everything else is the same. The differentials do take wear damage and will make noise when it happens, IE the pinions deform or the plastic thrust washers break, etc. You might get lucky and its still rebuildable.

Back