NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 11th, 2019, 08:44
NAXJA Forum User

Factory Leaf Spring Bolt Size

I am having some confusion on what size the front leaf to frame bolt is. I am finding part numbers referencing M14-2.0x120mm but various parts suppliers are listing 9/16" or 5/8" bolts. I know these are all similar size bolts but length and thread pitch are very important. I want to make sure I replace all the hardware when I refresh the suspension. The new rear shackles came with bolts so I am good there. Thinking a grazable bolt would be nice if possible.
Old August 11th, 2019, 09:12
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Factory Leaf Spring Bolt Size

The factory hangers are 14mm, everything else doesn't really matter. I run American threads where possible.
Old August 11th, 2019, 10:04
NAXJA Forum User

So the captured nut on the leaf to frame and upper shackle to frame are the 14mm, but any through bolt with a nut you run standard is what you are saying?
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:22
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

You could do that, yes. Bear in mind 9/16 is 0.29mm larger than 14 so you may have to run a 9/16 drill through the bushing sleeves to clean them out and/or remove a little metal before the bolt will fit through if they were pretty tight on tolerances.

The weld nuts in the frame for the leaf eye and shackle are M14x2.0 and more trouble than they're worth to replace, but you can do whatever you want at the shackle to leafspring connection and front lower control arm mounts, which use the same bolts.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old August 18th, 2019, 17:13
NAXJA Forum User

Factory Leaf Spring Bolt Size

9/16 bolt fit on the factory shackles and leaf springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk