• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle Switch???

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
Found this while looking at a parts supplier:

Extended Idle Switch
extidlesw.jpg

What's it for?
What does it do?
What type of XJs used it? Police?

it ups the idle to about 1K RPM for extended idling. Cools the engine better, generates more electricity for lights and radios and such.
Used on police XJs

It's funny then that they pictured it on a woodgrain (foo-foo) panel. :laugh3:

Yeah I've got a 96'aw4,242 with one of those. Mine isn't on the foo foo panel.lol. Mine was a process deputy's jeep, real bare bones, black vinyl flooring, except for the back that has no carpet because the police dog ruined it! I've been trying to get it back into shape, but it's taking some time. Lots of guys have told me it would be good for a winch or extra lights but i thought it may be good to have while running a winch.

what else is associated with that switch?? Module?? Is the wiring there from the factory??

If I get a chance I'll have to comb through the FSM for info....

The picture is of my dash panel. Sorry you don't like my foo-foo Limited wood grain.
The site you got the pic from is Jeeps-are-Us. They got the pic from me to help sell old stock. The ext idle package never came bundled with the wood grain panel.
Full sized:

xj_switch_ext_idle.jpg

JEEPZZ said:
The picture is of my dash panel. Sorry you don't like my foo-foo Limited wood grain.

I like it, but then I have the same foo-foo Limited woodgrain in mine :D

Dumb question: do you happen to know the part number for that four-switch panel the extended idle switch is mounted in? There's a switch I'd like to mount down there keeping everything looking as stock as possible, and the extra switch hole would be perfect.

All you guys who want to get the extended idle switch, the wiring is already there. Most of the dash panels don't have room for the fog lights and ext idle switch though. I know mine doesn't. I think only the limiteds that had both originally have the extra slot. I also know that if you want to order one through a dealership you need a VIN from a police built XJ or one that had it originally. Same goes for the european built taillights. I tried ordering a set of them and I couldn't. The euro taillight's colors are layered differently.

ex, US top to bottom: tall red, amber, white
Euro : short red, amber, white, tall red

JEEPZZ said:

Cool! Your console is famous. :wave:

Now take it apart and look for the part number on the 4-switch bezel. :)
Serious...what is it?

db209_2000 said:
All you guys who want to get the extended idle switch, the wiring is already there.

I dont think so.... unless it is tucked away really good, or taped up in the harness somewhere. It runs through C107 near the back of the engine, and C100 which is the big connector in the left kick panel. I assume from these posts that its an extra pigtail that runs to the switch.

Can anyone shed light on the wiring?

Most of the dash panels don't have room for the fog lights and ext idle switch though. I know mine doesn't. I think only the limiteds that had both originally have the extra slot.

huh? only the police package gets the 4 position panel. All xj's have 3 positions, just the non-fog equiped has a molded in blank.... not US might be different.

fordtech said:
I dont think so.... unless it is tucked away really good, or taped up in the harness somewhere. It runs through C107 near the back of the engine, and C100 which is the big connector in the left kick panel. I assume from these posts that its an extra pigtail that runs to the switch.

Can anyone shed light on the wiring?

huh? only the police package gets the 4 position panel. All xj's have 3 positions, just the non-fog equiped has a molded in blank.... not US might be different.

JEEPZZ:

While you're taking yours apart to look for the part number on the 4-switch bezel, could you take a picture of the wiring for us? Please :laugh3:

By the way, was yours a stock police package and you added the woodgrain later? Or did you just add the switch later?

TAKE IT APART dude!.....Don't resist.....T A K E I T A P A R T ! ! ! :D

Theres a down and dirty way to do it if you don't use your A/C.
Jumper your A/C low pressure switch and un-plug the compressure clutch.
Now when you turn the A/C on your AUX fan will come on and your idle will raise to 1000 rpm.

Found some info on the switch bezel. Not sure which one is with 4 switch locations, but maybe someone can fingure out the part catalog madness. Hope this helps,
Alex

-27 BEZEL, Switch

#4897502AG w/Rear Foglamp, Rear Defroster,
Rear Wiper/Washer & w/o Front Foglamp.

#4897505AG w/Rear Foglamp, Rear Defroster,
Rear Wiper/Washer & w/Front Foglamp.

#4897502AG w/Rear Wiper, Rear Defroster,
Police Package & w/o Rear
Foglamp & w/o Front Foglamp
1 w/Front Foglamp, Rear Defroster,
Rear Wiper & w/o Rear Foglamp
& w/o Police Package.

#4897503AG w/Rear Defroster, Rear Wiper &
w/o Rear Foglamp, Front
Foglamp & w/o Police Package.

RTicUL8 said:
JEEPZZ:

While you're taking yours apart to look for the part number on the 4-switch bezel, could you take a picture of the wiring for us? Please :laugh3:

By the way, was yours a stock police package and you added the woodgrain later? Or did you just add the switch later?

TAKE IT APART dude!.....Don't resist.....T A K E I T A P A R T ! ! ! :D
Take a look at the link 87manche posted on the 7th reply on this thread. You will see that I have all your questions (plus many more) already answered on my previous posts.
I show part numbers, wiring info, compatibilty issues, model year variations, etc-etc-etc. :paperwork

Back