• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

poor steering, bump steer, fixes?

SoWalSurfer

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 2door xj w/ a 3in. lift and ive been dealing with very sloppy steering(the vehicle seems to wander when im driving down the highway and isnt as responsive on the trails as i would like it to be) and bump steer. it also seems to "wobble" on the street when im at low speeds, and starts to vibrate badly at higher speeds. i was thinking about getting a wheel to wheel tie rod and draglink setup as well as new control arms, would that solve some of my problems? any suggestions or insight on this issue would be much appreciated

How long has it been since you had it aligned, checked the steering box adjustment, greased and checked your ball joints etc. You need to do all that, then go from there.

Exactly what lift parts do you have installed ? Are the stock steering parts in good condition or do they need to be replaced ? Do you still have stock control arms ? Did you re-set the Toe In after your lift ?

At 3.5" of lift and now 5.5" of lift, my stock steering is fine. No wandering, and very slight bumpsteer with Rusty's upper and RE lower control arms and IRO double shear track bar.

sounds like a bad track bar to me... have someone steer the wheel back and forth slightly and look at the upper trackbar mount there shouldnt be any play there... get an adjustable one if it needs replaced

I have an adjustable trac-bar, but the bushing on the mount to the body seems to be bad, the steering wheel does seem to have alot of play in it, as well as doesn't sit quite straight. I wanted the new control arms cause I figured that would help bring some of the geometry back. But the lift parts I have are rustysoffroadf coils, shocks and add a leafs, as well as steering box brace and t case lowering kit

Some drop brackets and adjustable control arms should allow you to get the stock steering geometry back. But get those worn parts replaced and it should help alot.

What trackbar and control arms do you have?You need to center the axle then straighten the steering wheel with the draglink!What are your alignment specs?

It's a rustys adjustable trac-bar, the control arms are still stock for now, and I'm kinda new to this so I don't know my alignment specs, I did get it aligned about a month ago...it was toed-in after the lift was installed...to jeeperjohn, wat drop brackets should I get? Like I said, I'm new to this, so thanks for the replies so far

sounds like a bad track bar to me... have someone steer the wheel back and forth slightly and look at the upper trackbar mount there shouldnt be any play there

X2 and check the bushings on your control arms. Lifts are not kind to stock control arms. The lower arms will bind on the back of the shock mounts when you flex offroad and that will roll the top of the axle forward and eat upper control arm bushings quickly.

Back