• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NewYears Hangover Run at TSF 1/1/12

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Had a lot of fun. I met up with a few OJO guys at rogers camp and ran powerline down to horse camp. Where we woke up the sleepy eyed Naxja campers. After some waking up, eating breakfast and prepping the rigs. We all headed out for hood raiser then hogs back and archers to Waterfalls. After a little while at waterfalls the campers headed back to camp and the day trippers and I continued to run the rest of archers. It was alot of fun running the back section of archers. A lot of hill climbs and off camber down hills. After completing archers Jon and Tess decided to go home and the rest of us felt about the same way. So we headed back toward horse camp via the core archers trails. we loaded up Mopar440's gear and put out a still burning camp fire, and headed for rogers to air up and head out. I really had alot of fun and surprisingly didn't brake anything critical.

I'll post more pics and vids as soon as I can. Probably tomorrow.:yelclap:

383582_10151113807480191_645910190_22413954_1505465843_n.jpg

What better way to bring in the New Year than a little camping and wheeling? 2012 should be a good one.

I rolled out Friday late afternoon. I took Rutherford Road into Horsecamp, and it was snowing pretty good at the top, but still no accumulation. Ryan, Nick, and Scott were there still setting up camp. Keith and then Curtis arrived a few hours later.

Friday night was entertaining to say the least. I do not recommend trying to walk on water. It doesn't work, and leaves you miserably wet. If you're going to burn your chair, commit. Otherwise you're left with a half assed burned chair. SoCo is poison. Nick is a Dick.

Saturday morning came around rather quick. After a warm breakfast we hit the trail to go see just how much snow had fallen (none at camp). We jumped on hoodraiser first, and then headed up to 7up.
IMG_0333.jpg

Disappointing amount of snow. Chopper was happy none-the-less.
IMG_0334.jpg

Didn't see a drop of rain the whole weekend!
IMG_0344.jpg

Hogsback. Mopar440 in the Pumpkin.
IMG_0345.jpg

ZJ_Scotty
IMG_0351.jpg

Curtis' wheelbase just makes hill climbs look stupidly easy.
IMG_0352.jpg

We found out Curtis' hubs are exactly 76", and were the limiting factor on the rocks leading into Hogsback.
IMG_0356.jpg

We hooked up to Archers and ran it all the way to Waterfall. The left line had some traffic on it, so Nick ran the right side corner without any issues. I didn't even have to get out!

Scott attempted it, but with an open front it just didn't want to pull his pig up. He also managed to nearly rip the end tube off his front bumper. Blurry picture, but it's proof.
IMG_0357.jpg

We cruised back to camp for some dinner, and prepare for our night run. It's nice to have a base camp set up, and go out for a few hours at a time. Very relaxed weekend.

I think we set off for Firebreak 5 around 7:30. With Nick driving, and me navigating we made record time over to the trail. The rumors are true, and the Rock of Doom is no longer. The first section is completely different, and kind of disappointing. Give it some time though, and it will evolve into something more challenging.
IMG_0359.jpg

Safety first, keep all trail snacks safely buckled in at all times.
IMG_0363.jpg

Common occurrence on the ZJ this weekend. NBD.
IMG_0365.jpg

Cherry.
IMG_0367.jpg

Last edited:
Firebreak 5 was pretty uneventful, we cruised up the second, third, and fourth sections. Mopar440 led the way up the fourth section, and clearanced a few body panels for the next time.

Saddle Up at night was pretty cool.
IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

We ran down the back side and discovered two fallen trees across our trail. Work party!
IMG_0370.jpg

With two chainsaws, and a few winches we were able to clear the trail, and block the retarded bypass someone made. Some creative rigging got the cut log into place.
IMG_0374.jpg

It was near 10:30, so we mobbed back to camp to bring in the New Year.

Aaron and the day trippers arrived the next morning. Not surprising we were nowhere near ready to leave. We eventually rolled out around 10:30 to trace our Saturday route.
IMG_0380.jpg

Bronzewyrm_family.
IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

Rather eclectic group.
IMG_0390.jpg

Back to Waterfall, Nick went left.
IMG_0393.jpg

I forgot to mention it, but I think if he aired up he may have gained enough clearance to bump over.
IMG_0397.jpg

Jeremy.
IMG_0403.jpg

McAwesome.
IMG_0404.jpg

Jeremy redeemed himself on the right. What's up with the facial expressions? :D
IMG_0412.jpg

At this point a few of us decided to head back to camp and start packing. The day trippers and Keith continued on down Archers.

Thanks Aaron for getting the run going. This might have to become another annual run. Also, as much as I hate to do it, I have to say thanks to Nick for letting me ride along all weekend. It's always a fun time, and you put up with my ultrahungover self on Saturday rather well (I forgive you for the douching). I will say though, I'm so ready to get behind the wheel again!

Last edited:
It was good to see some familiar faces and to meet new ones... Rolled into Horsecamp about 7ish Friday night, ate some food, had some beer, and gave Dustin a few snorts of SoCo, which led to him deciding he could walk on water! Turned in a little early and decided to just sleep in the Pumpkin.. Lots of room in that thing! Nick woke Dustin up bright and early with music from his .40 cal. After some breakfast and some rig prep (Scott decided to add winshield fluid to his radiator overflow tank!) we hit the trails... Had a good day, the Pumpkin performed better than I had hoped... I did bypass the bottom crawls on FB5 but in retrospect I probably would have been fine... Considering this was my first time in this environment w the Dodge and the fact that she held together and got me home, the weekend was a success. Good ol' vintage iron! After a good day run we headed back to camp, discovered a one-bedroom house parked there (Jeremy and gf), ate some grub and headed out for a night run... Highlights were FB5 and Saddle Up, where Dustin performed his last act as NAXJA commander-in-cheif and organized a trail cleanup and bypass-blockage... Back in camp around eleven we awaited the new year in typical NAXJA fashion- copious amounts of liquid spirits accompanied by camp fire follies! In the a.m. A few other rigs showed up, along with trip organizer Arron... We set out for the trail and good times were had by all...even stopping a few times to let Scott beat his front coils into submission... 'your coil spring is on top of your drag link... That's not stock, is it?' lol Around 2 we split up, some electing to head home and others to soldier on... We continued to follow Archer's, finding the cool v-notch downhill and a couple more interesting sections... Around 5 we headed back to camp to get me packed and then went to Rodger's to air up/connect up and head out... Thanks Arron for the air! Great trip...

Jeremy on waterfalls

Jon on a little bumpy section of archers

Jon on a off camber and V-notched section at the end of Archers

Thanks to Aaron for organizing this trip, I had a great time!

I got the Jeep packed up just as the sun came out, a sign of a good trip to come!

IMG_20111230_150210.jpg

After stopping for a final few supplies on my way outta town and passing Nick & Scott lost in NW Beaverton, I made it into camp about 5 minutes before them. We got everything set up and started enjoying the fire and refreshments. Oh, and it was snowing!

snowonjeeplogo.jpg

Dustin with his back to the fire for some reason.

campfireshenaniganslogo.jpg

shenaniganslogo.jpg

POKERSTICKlogo.jpg

torxchairlogo.jpg

puddlelogo.jpg

Some snow Saturday morning at the top of 7up.

groupsnowlogo.jpg

7uppanologo.jpg

jeep7uplogo.jpg

A little bit of carnage

carnagelogo.jpg

Going down the upper section of Rocky Uphill

grouprockyuphilllogo.jpg

waterfalllogo.jpg

Jon on a off camber and V-notched section at the end of Archers

THIS! most pucker factor in years:shhh:. in the vid you see me breifly reach for the mirror. and i quickly second judge myself. it was like 1/4" from the wall on the way down. this was WAY off camber and on the brink of loosing tire traction most of the decent.

im glad we were able to make it. sory the parts exchange dident go down. i was last min on going.

i still say we camp on the backside of archers and run it the and the other famous section the other way, just for a change.

well see you on the next one

Bronze

THIS! most pucker factor in years:shhh:. in the vid you see me breifly reach for the mirror. and i quickly second judge myself. it was like 1/4" from the wall on the way down. this was WAY off camber and on the brink of loosing tire traction most of the decent.

im glad we were able to make it. sory the parts exchange dident go down. i was last min on going.

i still say we camp on the backside of archers and run it the and the other famous section the other way, just for a change.

well see you on the next one

Bronze

That spot is the first time I thought I was going to roll my Jeep.

When I go to TSF w/o NAXJA, we camp at Keenig Creek, across the highway. Easy access to Rogers Road and then you can go right up Archers

looks like an awesome one. Wish I could have been there to get some thumps up pictures with passed out dustin. Cant wait to get moved, get parts transfered, and get back on the trail again!

Back