• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Clattering

the_mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a '95 XJ with a 4.0 that has ~287k miles on the clock. For a while now, I've had a clattering in the engine at higher RPMs. It seems to come in at ~2500-3000 RPM but hard acceleration seems to help until ~3500-4000 RPM. It will linger down to ~2500 RPM when I am off-throttle, decelerating.

My initial thought is lifters but wondering if there is anything else worth checking? (probably because I don't want to pull the head again) The motor seems to run hot based on reading the plugs (probably lean since coolant temp is never an issue) but it doesn't seem like a pinging situation since it happens on decel and cruise.

I have a '95 XJ with a 4.0 that has ~287k miles on the clock.

If it is an around-town beater, drive it until it pops, if you want a dependable vehicle, replace the engine, at that mileage, a lot is worn and making noises.

I'm going to guess rod knock, how's the oil pressure? My lifters clatter at idle cold but go away after its warmed up and runs awhile.

Oil pressure is good, sounds more top end and higher pitched than I'd expect for rod knock. But it's usually while I'm driving that I can hear it so hard to say I'm hearing correctly.

Back