• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Driver Door Power Door Lock Doesn't Work.

fivelitereater

NAXJA Forum User
Hello! My Name is John and I'm new to this site. I now own a 2001 Cherokee with a few minor issues. I have been scanning the forum for info and have been able to fix several issues on the XJ. I found and fixed the evap leak, and have fixed the issue with the windows that would only go down from the driver's door panel. All of this was made easier from information in this forum. Thank you all very much!

I need instructions on how to troubleshoot the driver side power door lock circuit. I've already pulled the door panel and have checked the wiring. I have checked the fuse as well. Is there a relay dedicated to each door? Should I be looking for 12v on each side of the connector going to the lock? The lock rod on the door is fine. It doesn't bind or hang up. The other doors work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

pull the wire looms between the front doors and chassis apart. i guarantee you will find many wires that need repair, and will probably fix your current issue, and prevent future issues. to get the looms out is a PIA. pull the door cards and kick panels, maybe the front door speakers as well. dissconnect the wires going to the doors at the connections you may find and fish the whole mess in through the doors. cut open the looms and repair your wires with butt splices or however you may prefer.

It's possible also that the latch has gone bad. In my WJ I had an issue with the driver door doing the same thing. The wires in the harness in the door are all in good repair. The service tech diagnosed it to the latch mechanism itself. Now I need to find a 2002-2004 WJ to pull a latch out of!!

XJs are notorious for wire breaks in the harness going to the drivers door. Check it out.

BTW, expect your drivers door speaker to quit working also...

Clean and lubricate the key lock and door latch mechanisms. Use throttle body cleaner and a light oil. WD-40 is neither a cleaner nor a lubricant.

Inspect the door wire harness. Look for any wire splices that may have failed, and look for any pinched wires or chafed wire insulation.

Inspect the master switch on the drivers door. Clean the switch contacts. You can partially disassemble the switch and check for any failed or cold solder joints. Consider replacing the switch assembly.

I had the same simalar problem and replaced drivers door switch with another used switch and it still didn't work. I pulled apart the wire harness from the switch to the door and noticed the big yellow wire from the switch and also the main ground wire both had age cracks in them. So I replaced both wires and hooked it all up. BUT I had the same problem... no power to the other windows or door locks.

So after about an hour of carefully prying the switch covers off It ended up being a cracked solder joint INSIDE the switch. I re-soldered all of the points and low and behold all my windows and door locks work just like they did off the factory line.

Pulled the loom. Found the broken pink/black stripe and repaired or so I thought... Pulled the door lock and cleaned it up and put external power to it, works fine, probably should've done that to begin with.. So, pulled the kick panel and found that the previous owner had spliced one side of the switch to the driver side speaker (explains why no speaker). WTF? You would think this guy would put 2-n-2 together to figure out why his door locks didn't work after his stereo hack job. Anyway. I appreciate the help! This is a great forum! No on to fixing my rear window wiper! Freakin electrical gremlins everywhere!

Thanks!

Back