• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats up with Black Rockcrawlers?

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Now I've been Jeeping for a day or two, but I just don't understand.

What is the allure of having Black "rock-krawlers". Hell, phony beadlocks for that matter too...

It seems like anyone that wants to look like a hardcore wheeler has a set.....along with a brushguard....

Run what ya brung....

John

GI-John said:
Now I've been Jeeping for a day or two, but I just don't understand.

What is the allure of having Black "rock-krawlers". Hell, phony beadlocks for that matter too...

It seems like anyone that wants to look like a hardcore wheeler has a set.....along with a brushguard....

Run what ya brung....

John

Cheap black steelies... $36 each. Custom polished bling... $100+ each. In the case of me and my wallet it was all about simple mathematics. Just my .02

Aluminum wheels crack and can get very damaged if you wheel on the rocks, steelies will just bend around the lip usually if you hit them HARD. You can always hammer that bent spot back down, can't say the same for a cracked aluminum wheel.

Plus cost is also something to consider. You can get a set of 15x8 Black Steelies for around $200 usually, even less if you buy used. Other wheels can go for $100+ and up.

actually the fake beadlocks are awesome. i used to hate e'm but i bought a set that came with some tires i needed and they are good for one thing, they have protected the bead as well as the bead lip of the rim, i rub them on the rocks often and the fake rings have saved me many many times. from tearing up the rim to tire surface

i went for the crager soft 8's because of the price. the money i saved helped me get an Aussie for my 30.

i went with the cool kids and got the white wagon wheels :D the diy beadlocks do help make up for the gayness, but it looks good and was 110$ to my door

If I am willing to spend close to $3000 on my suspension, $800 for my wheels doesn't seem like to big a deal. It just meant that I got them later instead of RIGHT NOW. It's amazing the things you can afford when you save for a bit..................:dunno:

If money was the reason, why not use stock steelies, or for that matter, white wagon wheels?

Methinks it is to look cool to the unknowing.

Waiting for the "Chrome won't get you home" crowd to pipe in.

P.S. trailered rock queens....got it:gee:

why not just look around and try and find a used pair of better rims. I went on craigslist and picked me up a set og Mickey Thompson Classic IIs, those look real nice with my gray XJ.

shortxjdoug said:
actually the fake beadlocks are awesome. i used to hate e'm but i bought a set that came with some tires i needed and they are good for one thing, they have protected the bead as well as the bead lip of the rim, i rub them on the rocks often and the fake rings have saved me many many times. from tearing up the rim to tire surface

Ding Ding Ding .........we have a winner Bob, tell him what he's won.

This is the real reason why I run them, and they are getting the winter AT tires put on after the month's end trail ride. Gonna build a set of DIY bead locks over the winter.

My friend bought Rock Crawlers against my advice 2 years ago. After two summers of deep rocks, 3 of 4 are bent, two with bent centers. He just bought a set of nice aluminum wheels.

The myth of aluminum wheels cracking and failing cracks me up. We're not talking about 30 year old porous castings. Modern aluminum wheels are lighter, stronger and mroe durable than their steel counterparts. Yes, the initial cost is higher, but having to buy 2 or 3 sets of steelies to keep straight wheels on your rig pays for the alloys in about 6 years.

I have CenterLine Tel-Stars on mine. Its unreal how much lighter a billet aluminum wheel is compared to a steel wheel. The only upside to the wieght of the steel wheels is that the wieght is in the right spot...the bottom.

CRASH said:
The myth of aluminum wheels cracking and failing cracks me up.

I've seen 3 factory 15x8 canyon TJ wheels crack and break beads. On the same trails as I run my street lock with no problems. But that migh have something to do with the tire he runs, 35x10.5 SSR's........I still don't understand that pizza cutter thing.

Morty'sXJ said:
Cheap black steelies... $36 each. Custom polished bling... $100+ each. In the case of me and my wallet it was all about simple mathematics. Just my .02

X2. I REALLY like the looks of them..plus they're cheap as dirt. WTF am i going to spend $100+ per wheel when i like the look of a cheaper wheel more?

Last edited:
johnlv6 said:
X2. I REALLY like the looks of them..plus they're cheap as dirt. WTF am i going to spend $100+ per wheel when i like the look of a cheaper wheel more?
That's where I'm coming from. I simply prefer the look of the cheap black wheels...and I can borrow GI-John's hammer to bend the lip back. :)

-----Matt-----

(Did you ever find your BFH?)

Back