• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS Location on the 2.8 V6

tow2topgun

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 1985 XJ with the V6 2.8L. I am looking for my Throttle Positioning Sensor but don't know where it is. Any of yall have a picture of this and the mounting location?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm about 90% sure that it is in the carburetor I have an old chiltons, long before the books got bigger. it covers the XJ from 84 - 91 so it goes into much more detail than the newer ones. I'm pretty sure that it said it was in the carburetor.
Why are you wanting to know the location of it?

THROTTLE position sensor. ask yourself this...where is your throttle? on the carburetor or throttle body. it opposes the side where your throttle cable pulls.

gill41083 said:
i thought trottle position sensor was only on fuel injection? never seen one on a carburator.

Later "feedback" carburettors have them as well. Electronic ignition (to replace breaker points and remove a maintenance item) started on domestic vehicles in 1974, and electronic feedback control shortly after (ca. 1980 or so.)

And, it's a lead-pipe cinch that they're on OBD-I vehicles - which, as I recall, the 1985XJ w/2.8L V6 happens to be.

5-90 said:
Later "feedback" carburettors have them as well. Electronic ignition (to replace breaker points and remove a maintenance item) started on domestic vehicles in 1974, and electronic feedback control shortly after (ca. 1980 or so.)

And, it's a lead-pipe cinch that they're on OBD-I vehicles - which, as I recall, the 1985XJ w/2.8L V6 happens to be.
It is? You would know if anyone would. I thought that it predated the OBD-I system. When did the OBD sytem come about.

Did you find your TPS? My exploded view of the Rochester E2SE shows the TPS essentially on the other side of the float bowl opposite the fuel intake, with a three wire plug.

One of my books suggests that the E2SE was used only on California models with 49 states using the 2SE which at a glance does not appear to be a feedback model and has no TPS. If so I would be surprised (even the really basic Carter YFA on my '85 2.5 had feedback but only a WOT switch for throttle position) but apparently the 2SE was used at least on some models.

I know that many find it difficult to believe these carbed engines (84/85/ some 86) have a computer, O2 sensors, and feedback that adjusts the air/fuel mixture in closed loop mode. These are not "renix" and certainly would be described as crude compared to any EMFI system. There are no on board diagnostics, certainly not with any similarity to OBD.

tow2topgun said:
I got a 1985 XJ with the V6 2.8L. I am looking for my Throttle Positioning Sensor but don't know where it is. Any of yall have a picture of this and the mounting location?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I owned an 85 and 86 Cherokee with 2.8L.
Just a Rochester carb with HEI ignition, nothing fancy.
I suspect your chasing your tail.

Ron

Last edited:
1985xjlaredo said:
It is? You would know if anyone would. I thought that it predated the OBD-I system. When did the OBD sytem come about.

Chrysler OBD-I was built into the XJ in 1991, when Chrysler took over production specs (they purchased AMC/Jeep in 1988, I believe.)

The OnBoard Diagnostics specification came about because of the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in the early 1980's, and was mandated shortly afterwards (mid-1980's) by USEPA. The OBD-II spec was organised and designed by SAE, and mandated by USEPA for the 1996 model year.

OBD-I didn't become "mandatory" for production, however, until 1990 or so - which is why calling a vehicle "pre-OBD" doesn't really nail down the production time, nor does calling it "OBD-I"

Back