• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door gap & adjust?

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My drivers door seal was F'd up and so I bought the moulding and installed it. Now the door doesn't seal up. I looked at all the other doors and they do seal up. I can't see any noticeable difference from one door to the other, but still the door does not seal. The moulding looks good, the gaps all round the door look good but when I close it it doesn't seal.

If you guys have any quick fixes (I stuck some hardware store weather strip in there but it still doesn't do much good) I sure would appreciate it. I searched this issue but all I got was about broken hinges etc. My hinges look good. No vibe on the door and it seems to close securely. There is some peeled off plastic on the latch but all the doors have roughly the same look to them.

First step is to find out exactly where the seal isn't sealing. I use a dollar bill, close it in the door and pull. You can feel the loose spots easy.
You may want to narrow it down some, the cigarette lighter methode while your driving down the road, can help.
Don't forget about the plastic sheet behind the inside door covering. You'll get wind, through the handles and switches. It took me awhile ot figure out duct tape is the best way to put the plastic wind barrier, back behind the door cover.
The problem is most often sag in the door. Thousandths of an inch of play at the hindge, can be 1/8 inches of play at the door end farthest from the hindge.
Sometimes it can be corrected at the stricker, sometimes with shims and/or adjustment at the hindges. A new pin, doesn't often help, the hindge wears, not the pin. And the hindge wears more in the middle section than the outside sections.
I have a talent for doors and have done enough to feel comfortable, with the brute force methode. Wood wedges, an assortment of wooden blocks and a floor jack. I bend the hindges and supporting sheet metal into the right position. Not recommended for beginners.
The Torx bolts holding the hindges to the door, have caused many people a whole lot of grief. Sometimes it is just better to live with what you got.

Well, there's no living with this. The gap is along the drivers side pillar and varies from about 1/8" to about 1/2 ". It's fine at the top and at the front, and I have no complaints about the bottom. It blows like hell right next to my head and all the way down the door. I've already sealed up around the inside handle and the plastic liner is still intact and tight.

How is the door adjusted, shim wise at the hinge. And is the striker adjustable??

Update on this!!

Loosened the strike plate, moved it over about 1/2 inch, tightened it up. FIXED, sucked it right up in there. Sweet!!!

Back