• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker questions for '01 XJ

whoozey1953

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some advice...I have a 2001 XJ Sport I use for a daily driver and mild off-roading here in Arizona. I put on a 2" BB to clear my 30x9.50 ProComp Muds. What lockers would you recommend? It has a 8.25 rear and a non-disconnect D30 in the front. Does this have a 231 or a 242 TC in it? TIA, Chris

If you have the 231, then you can only choose 2h, 4h n, 4l. If you have more then you have the 242.

A Lock Right or No-slip will work well with your setup, if you want it to be nearly invisible get the No-slip. The other choices are more expensive, a Detriot softlocker(not very soft) or an ARB. ARB would be the best choise but the most expensive.

For a daily driver and mild off-roading you could probably be quite happy with a limited slip. The factory used a Trac-Lok, which is also available through the after-market. This is very affordable, albeit not the most aggressive limited slip in the universe. I don't think the True Trac is available for the 8.25, but Auburn makes a very good, heavy duty limited slip that is available for the 8.25.

IF you plan to stay with your 30 inch tires and not go taller, then you'll probably find your stock gearing tolerable in a daily driver (I did for about 8 years). You can "drop in" a No-Slip in your 8.25 without touching the gears and dramatically improve your traction off-road while maintaining good on-road manners. I agree with Chuck that a selectable locker, like an ARB or OX or Electrac, is the best of both worlds, but these are markedly more expensive and also require that your ring and pinion be reset.
Inasmuch as you describe your off-roading as mild, my thought is you'd probably be very pleased with a rear locker and an open front. You can do this with a No-Slip for about $400, total.

I am very pleased with the No-Slip. For the $$$ I feel it is the way to go...you can install it yourself in the driveway with a decent set of hand tools, a jack and a set of jackstands...with proper on-road driving habits, it is barely noticeable, but makes ALL the difference off road.

Thank you all for your suggestions. The No-Slip seems to be the way to go. I have a YJ that is all "rocked-out" with D60, D44, ARB's, bla-bla-bla, so I don't want to ruin this Jeep, too! I am amazed at how well it 'wheels in relatively stock form. A rear locker and disconnects should be all that I need for this Cherokee.

locker questions

I have a 2000XJ w/242 TC and I often run it in FULL TIME mode, due to snow here in Michigan. I was looking into Aussie Lockers (offroadlockers.com) and they advised against using their product (locker) in the front axle of a vehicle that had AWD/Full Time 4WD capabilities. Something about wind-up or binding. I'm considering their locker for my rear D35, but haven't made a decision for the front - D30.
Question: Is the NO-SLIP a true LOCKER that spins both wheels equally OR is is like a POSI or LIMITED-SLIP? I can't put a locker in my front axle, because of my driving habits in the winter. :(
Anybody have any input?

BLUTO :)

You didnt really say what your needs are?A True-trac would be a good choice for mild wheeling.If you need more than I would go with the ARB! I still plan on taking out my No-slip and replacing that with another ARB.

locker questions

Sorry about any confusion,
I'm not anticipating any BIG rockclimbing or deep stream crossings or 3' deep mud-bogging. It's a daily driver, but I want to know that when I go offroad and run a sloppy trail or some deep powder that I won't be spinning my wheels all the time.
I'm considering the Aussie Locker or No-Slip for my D35 rear and probably a POSI/LIMITED for my front D30. I have 242 TC and use the FULL TIME often in winter,....I hear that lockers aren't a good choice for front axles when in FULL TIME mode. :eek:

If I am reading you correctly I wouldnt go with a locker at all.Think about Tru-trac's front and rear.With a little use of the brakes they act almost "like" a full locker!

locker questions

Are you saying to "ride the brake" or gas-brake-gas-brake? I haven't heard of that trick before :confused:

And from what I hear on the boards here, a locker (No-Slip) won't affect my street driving too harshly. A good one (locker) will allow the wheels to differentiate in turns. I haven't heard that a rear locker would be adverse while in FULL TIME 4WD.

I think RCP Phx is right on.
If a large amount of your driving is in the snow, I'd be weary of fully locking either dif. Locked axles have a disconcerting tendency to spin in snow/ice and can get squirrelly. A limited slip or selectable locker would probably suit you better.
With the True-Trac you ride the brake if your wheels slip, which loads the dif and sends power to the wheels with traction. This is easy if you've got an auto, but takes a bit more finesse with a manual tranny. Word is that it's highly effective at getting power to the tractive tire with this little trick. HMMWVs must have a similar dif, 'cause they worked the same way. When things got slick, you just put on a little brake pressure, and the slipping was done.

locker questions

Thanks for your input,
I'll either have to save-up for a manually selectable rear locker or bite the bullet and install POSI's front AND rear.
It pays to surf ;) ,

I ran posi's front and rear for years in another rig and wheeled it hard. And with all the flex that xj's can get (keeping the rubber planted) posi's will get you through 95.346% of all your non-hardcore driving/wheeling. The break trick works great when you lift a tire... if you're in a particulary twisty bit of trail that's lifting tires you can click the e-brake up a notch or two to help the back tires and work the pedal for the fronts if needed. Takes some touch but does help crawl you through those situations.

locker questions

Looks like you've done the MATH :D , I'll probably go the Posi/Limited-Slip route (especially now that I've heard about the "BRAKING LOCKER" ;) )
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a D35 rear and D30 front set-up? A friend of mine at Jeep division said that the Trac-Loc wasn't his first choice for traction/durability (beyond street driving).
Thanks,

The only posi I would get is the Detroit Truetrac since it doesn't have clutches to wear out.

Ditto !!

The trutrac is gear driven and strong.It would be maintanance free after that!The trac-locs dont have alot of holding power.

Back