• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hydraulic clutch lines

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
Hi all,

Has anyone replaced the hydraulic lines for their clutch. My hard lines are pretty corroded and need to be replaced. The loop with bleeder is the worst. I have never tried this and am debating taking it to a shop to have it done. If it is pretty straight forward though, I'll try it.

Thanks,

Copperhead
1987 Laredo 4.0

I did it on an '88 last autumn. The only nuisancy part was getting the hard line out where it crosses from the master cylinder under the lip in the firewall. Tight fit, but I got the old one out and the new one in with a bit of fussing.

Fuzzy memory tells me that something was being a PITA and I did the removal with the aid of a large bolt cutter to make it into two pieces, but I can't remember just what it was that caused me to think that was a good idea. Probably the bit about getting the hard line out from under that lip. New one went in very nicely.

If the clutch master cyllinder is original, you should replace this at the same time. When I replaced my clutch, and lost the prime on the spent cylinder I had to replace it.

Thanks,

I'll give it a try. As far as I can tell, the clutch master cylinder is original. The original owner is a friend, and he doesn't remember having it replaced.

Copperhead
-1987 Laredo 4.0, 2door, Stock

Back