• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box bolt specs?

The Saginaw box used on the XJ is metric, therefore I would think the bolts are as well. I don't remember if I measured them last time I had them out, but I would imagine either M10x1.5 or 7/16"-14, with a length up around 3".

What happened - did you lose one? Just wondering...

5-90

EDIT - BTW, I could be off on the length, after reflection. I'm pretty sure about the size, tho.

5-90

I got a couple extra bolts (2 of em) I pulled from a scrapper just in case any of mine broke when I converted my manual steering to power if you need em. I can get measurements if you need.

5-90 said:
What happened - did you lose one? Just wondering...

5-90

Ha no, just thought it might be a good idea to carry a spare set on the trail.
I just don't want to pull one out and go play mix and match at the hardware.

Any confirmed measurements?
Thanks.

Pat

Mark Hinkley said:
Steering box bolts are

7/16" X 14tpi X 4.25" long ( 4" or 4.5" will work) Grade 8

mark

just yanked out my spare parts box and apparently was too slow

is grade 5 strong enough for the steering box bolts? I cannot find grade 8 in the 7/16" size anywhere around me.... any help in this would be great!
thanks

If OEM is Grade 8, I'd stick with that. Got an ACE Hardware or Yellow Pages around? I bet you've got a half-dozen places within 20 miles and don't know they're there...

soulslngr said:
is grade 5 strong enough for the steering box bolts? I cannot find grade 8 in the 7/16" size anywhere around me.... any help in this would be great!
thanks
I guess that depends on how you feel about your steering falling off. If the engineers figured it needed an 8 but somebody here says oh ya it’ll work with a 5… :nono:

soulslngr said:
thanks

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkley

Back