• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 ECU & engine in 2001

jaydee1445

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a non runner 01 2wd Sport project Monday.
Seller clams he did engine swap and it was running fine until trans stopped shifting and then it quit running

Seller says it has a 97 engine.There is no ECU. The Injector / ignition harness has been changed to a 97 type. This harness has the white and black ECU connector so it should be GTG for the 97 ECU.

I plan to buy /FSMAlldata for both years to compare the pinout for the ECU gray connector for compatibility between years.

I'm just throwing this out there to see if the collective has any knowledge of compatibility between the gray ECU connector/ interior harness between the last 2 years and the previous OBDII system.
Any other known compatibility issues for going back to the earlier distributor fired system?

Do you have to pass inspection/emissions there? The motor is not a issue but the ECU and electronics is.

No emissions.
Most of the issues should be addressed by '97 injector harness with the black and white plug and a '97 ECU

My question is specifically about the gray connector which is the harnesses that runs into the cab.

Just because you don't have emissions doesn't make it any more legal. The VIN is stored in the ECU!

Decided not to fart around trying to make the 97 stuff work. I picked up all the 2001 components to get it right on Ebay.
Some of the 97 sensors are the same reusing the temp, CKP,MAP, & TPS. IMHO a '01 intake isn't worth spending $75 on

new parts
Oil pressure sender 99UP $ 9.99
cam sync sensor '99&'01 $47.38
4 O2 Sensor '00 cali '01 50 state $68.99
front pipe with pre-cats '00 cali 01 50 state $210.50
universal fit 8mm plug wires $37.98
JK coil for Viper conversion $28.54
Alternator '98up $80.60 missing so changing the field plug wasn't a option
Manifold gasket $15.99

Used parts
F&R exhaust manifolds $54.90
ECU no SKIM so I don't think I'll need to flash it $49.99
Engine wiring harness $150.00
Total parts $758.38 shipped

Clean 2001 XJ with 177K miles $500.00

The cats and O2S are maintenance items likely needed @ 177k miles.
In my area clean '01s bring $3k-$5k so I'm golden :party:

Get the pcm flashed. Its probably an additional $100 or so and well worth it to prevent gremlins.

I finished up this build and gave it to my wife after a kid turned left in front of her 97 XJ . I learned about the adapter plate to match the630 head to the 01 manifold so that added another $100. Still under $1500 in the Jeep.

Since the I've picked up 2 more blown '01s for $500 each

So the moral of this story is: Unless you are retired and have tons of spare time to piss away swapping ECU's, wire harnesses and other stuff, do it the right way with the correct parts for the model year of the Jeep.

All XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange. (1991 to 1995 YJ Wrangler and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will also interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If a 2000-01 0331 head is cracked, located an improved design crack resistant 0331 TUPY head from a WJ or TJ.

Last edited:
So the moral of this story is: Unless you are retired and have tons of spare time to piss away swapping ECU's, wire harnesses and other stuff, do it the right way with the correct parts for the model year of the Jeep.

I disagree... If you have a complete 00/01 XJ with bad head/ motor an adapter plate and extra manifold gasket is all you need to allow use of a cheap/free 0630 head..
A new Clearwater 0331 would have cost me $583 alone.

I had to change all those parts due to buying a project the previous goofball tried to rig it; all the correct stuff was missing. Many of the parts I replaced would need to swapped over to a new head so way not replace the 20 year old parts during R&R ??

I would un-Bubba a project XJ, I don't like trying to diagnose or repair stupid poorly done crap while on the side of the road or way out in the woods.

I am a strong believer in preventative maintenance, all 4 of my Jeeps get fresh parts before the old stuff is worn out or broken.

A good used TUPY 0331 head is $50 at the Pic n Pull, and $100 for the machine shop to inspect and crack test.

Last edited:
I would un-Bubba a project XJ, I don't like trying to diagnose or repair stupid poorly done crap while on the side of the road or way out in the woods.

Yep! Pretty much what I ended up doing when I saw what a mess he had made except it didn't make sense to mess with changing out the good head on the 97 motor he put in it. Other than the adapter plate everything is now correct 01. It runs great and everything works; Wifey is loving it.

I would have done the coil mod anyway but fabbing up brackets for the coil pack would not be a big deal.

A good used TUPY 0331 head is $50 at the Pic n Pull, and $100 for the machine shop to inspect and crack test.

If I were to do a head I think finding a 2002-3 non TUPY 0331 makes sense. The adapter and extra gasket are almost $150.

Car-parts.com shows street $$ on a junkyard one is $150 in my area. Not worth the time and chance on pulling a TUPY from pick and pull IMHO. In Florida they all are cracked form running hot:sunshine:

Re: 97 engine in 2001

Well crap! I guess I owe ya'll a beer. I had a brain fart :looney: and confused which 0331 casting was TUPY. If I had actually paid attention to Tim's post I would have realized I was Drain Bamged.:doh: Too make it worse I don't have the post count to edit so my stupid is enshrined here forever.:anon: I'm going to go and sit in the corner.:dunce:

Back