• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have a GORILLA Winch? 8000 should be enough?

Search on Pirate, I know there is a thread on them their and it was well rated. Slowish but a decent price. I would get the smittybilt one though as I think it is a better winch for the same low $

On here most are going to say get a warn. I own a champion and my only problem with it is the sticker faded really quickly. (call me vain) Most all of the cheap winches are slow, but usually reliable. I say go for it.

8000 is enough.... you can always use a snatch block if you need more grunt on occasion.( and if the cable length allows you to)

I'm gonna say to check the weight and size dif between the 8k and 10k winches.
I got a Titan 10k winch because it was just a bit heavier than an 8k. From what I understand, the heavier duty winch won't have to work as hard to make the same pull, which requires less amps draw. So it should be easier on the winch, and the battery.

Price and weight, to think about.

I have also bee looking into winches. I think if you search around for discussions on the gorilla or any other off brand winch you will get very mixed reviews. I read someone's review indicating that his gorilla failed the first time in useage. Based on what reading I've done I am very much leaning toward Warn or Superwinch. You can get the new 8500 lb Superwinch for less than 400$ not counting shipping.

Remember, the 8K rating is for one wrap of cable on the spool. Winch manufacturers advise not to use the winch with less than five wraps. Capacity is greatly reduced as the spool fills up. Also, remember than you may be recovering larger vehicles and/or vehicles that are mired in the mud. Granted, a snatch block can double the pulling power, but you'll need sufficient cable to come back to your bumper.

The only thing I don't understand about Titan, is that if he has such a great product, why does he have a free webhost website that looks like it was built by a 12 year old, and a measly 1 year warranty?

I'm toying with the idea of buying his 10K, but that's scaring me away.

emr1101 said:
if you want a fast winch get a tmax 9k for $500. just get ready for shit to break lol

Please explain.

mecompco said:
Remember, the 8K rating is for one wrap of cable on the spool. Winch manufacturers advise not to use the winch with less than five wraps. Capacity is greatly reduced as the spool fills up.

Most winch drums can handle about 15 wraps on each layer on the drum. Each wrap in the first layer is about a foot, so that will leave 10 feet of tug before you ever get to that second layer where the pulling power begins to decline.

I think 8k is plenty for an xj. Remember, you are pulling on the unibody...:rof:

WheelinJR said:
The only thing I don't understand about Titan, is that if he has such a great product, why does he have a free webhost website that looks like it was built by a 12 year old, and a measly 1 year warranty?

I'm toying with the idea of buying his 10K, but that's scaring me away.

I can't give you the right answer because I really don't know. Honestly I would email him and talk to him yourself.
I'd guess that he just started putting all his products together for sale in the last few years, and hasn't put the time & money into website design as he has top notch customer service and us customer word of mouth spreadin the good word. As for warranty, again I don't know... but seriously, write and talk to him.

I have his 10k and yanked myself out of mud/water upto my doors (4.5" on 33's) then a few minutes later pulled a buddy out of deeper mud/water (TJ 4" on 35's) no problems, good speed and was hardly working by the sounds of it.

You won't be wasting time just emailing him, from there its upto you whether you buy or not.

Back