• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Crush Sleeve?

brifro123

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm looking into to getting a replacement bearing kit for my Dana 30 front axle, on my 1988 XJ 6CYl. I took it all apart and there was no crush sleeve, but it also looked like it had been apart before. So I asked around, and everyone that I asked told me that it should have a crush sleeve in it, but I also looked at a diagram on quadratec and saw no crush sleeve. So my question is am I supposed to have a crush sleeve? Also I have a choice between three different kits, and I was wondering which you all thought would work for mine:
http://nationaldrivetrain.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/mbk_dana.html

I hope one of you can help me with this, because it has got me confused, Thanks!

-Brian

some dana 30's had preload shims. the eary ones I think

Last edited:
High pinion D30s use shims and not a crush sleeve.

you need a standard D30front kit
not a CJ D30 kit or a TJ D30 kit
the ZJ uses a CJ D30 kit with a long pinion and the TJ uses a crush collar with a short pinion. YJ's are shimmed as well as XJ's. I have yet to see a HPD30 with a collar.

Rawbrown said:
the ZJ uses a CJ D30 kit with a long pinion and the TJ uses a crush collar with a short pinion.

I recently did a ZJ (LP30) that used a crush sleeve and the TJ kit.

Rawbrown said:
YJ's are shimmed as well as XJ's. I have yet to see a HPD30 with a collar.

Same here.

Some kits incorporate the TJ and CJ setup in the same box. its easier to waste an extra crush sleave than to assemble a whole nother box of parts.
Yukon keeps em seperate.
YK-D30F front dana 30 master install kit with shims for HP D30's
YK D30TJ front TJ and 2000-new xj D30 short low pinion with crush collar
YK D30CJ front zj and cj d30 kits with crush collar for long pinion
yk D30 rear d30 master install kit for early jeeps

Well, It actually was Yukon stuff, YK D30-TJ. That's about all I install, but this is the first ZJ I've done (not too common of a build around here).

The kit did include different stuff for the HP and LP, even the different pinion seals. I no longer have the R&P box to check if it was the long or short pinion.

IIRC the ZJ was a 97, maybe they started using the TJ front in 96? :dunno: . I'm sure you've done more of these than I have, but you know how Jeep likes to change these little things over the years!

Back