• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking to replace coil springs to a longer coil and keep same height and travel

alwayzAMC

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys, finishing up on a build project i have been working on for a while,

i currently have serious long arms, and currently at about 5.75 inches of lift with ACOS and antirock sway bar.

with my suspension completely drooped my coils come unseated by a few inches so i am wondering if anyone makes a coil that is about 24=25 inches long that will net about a 3 to 4 inch lift, my 3 inch lift springs sit at about 20 inches on the floor right now.

looking around abit, i may want a progressive spring? if so i was looking at synergy, but it seems that their xj 3 inch spring is progressive, and their 4.5 is linear, but cannot find any information what their spring height is at a natural height. i am not sure which would better suit my needs here. trying not to sacrifice upwards travel also.

just looking for some insight on which direction i should lean towards, and maybe even a vendor here who can hook me up with what i need,

thanks everyone.

To get a coil that long with that little lift, you're looking at a REALLY soft coil.

I suggest you look at PAC-JP22x4.0x165P, which is 4" lift 22" long unseated, 165 inch pound progressive. Any softer than that and its going to be useless.

What about limit straps or coil spring retainers ?

i am installing ballistic fab spring retainers this weekend, but i think this would cause my springs to come unseated from the top and rubbing the threads from the acos off. so i think i would be needing limiting straps also without longer springs.

and thanks cal, i was under the impression i would be getting softer if i were to go to a longer spring. i wish i knew what i had for spring rate in my coils now, the pac springs are 4 inch coils, is that the same as stock?

i like the look of those, i think you may have found what i am looking for, will look for some more information on them, thank you !

i am installing ballistic fab spring retainers this weekend, but i think this would cause my springs to come unseated from the top and rubbing the threads from the acos off. so i think i would be needing limiting straps also without longer springs.

and thanks cal, i was under the impression i would be getting softer if i were to go to a longer spring. i wish i knew what i had for spring rate in my coils now, the pac springs are 4 inch coils, is that the same as stock?

i ran a super soft coil... went from a RE 4.5" coil (i forget the spring rate) to the PAC 130# progressive. it never unseated, but man, was it unstable. i went to the deaver coil (245/285 dual rate) and had never been happier.

if you dont want the coil to unseat i would suggest ditching the acos and going with a longer coil. 200# seems to be a good do it all coil. but i did not mind the heavier coil on the road. thats up to personal preference. by the time i added limit straps it had plenty of usable travel and would just begin to unseat before full droop.

Pretty much what Vash said there.

I'm currently DDing on a 250 pound coil, and its too much. I think 165 will not be enough. 200-220 will probably be just about right.

Rock Krawler makes progressive spring as well, though not XJ specific you may find another option

Metalcloak springs work awesome! I have them on mine for 3.5” lift and my buddy has them with the Acos for 6.5” lift and we both don’t unseat the spring with lots of down travel. They ride nice, handle well, and flex like crazy! Couldn’t be happier with them 👍

im tryin to get away from spacers lol that's how im at 4.5" now. I have IRO 3" coils with the spacer. I need to see if they have 4.5" coils that will work on XJs

I was really interested in Metalcloak coils, so I started asking Matson some tech questions (spring rate and such) and he ghosted our conversations. Asked Scott Becker there the same questions and he told me I was not privileged to that information and would never get it.

Given that the pretty much all of the competition publishes those same specs, the competition will get my business from that point until forever.

I was really interested in Metalcloak coils, so I started asking Matson some tech questions (spring rate and such) and he ghosted our conversations. Asked Scott Becker there the same questions and he told me I was not privileged to that information and would never get it.

Given that the pretty much all of the competition publishes those same specs, the competition will get my business from that point until forever.

That seems odd. Their springs aren't that expensive. If you were someone trying to duplicate the design and rip them off you could easily buy a set and take measurements of wire diameter, coil diameter, coil separation, etc. I wonder why all the cloak and dagger?

That seems odd. Their springs aren't that expensive. If you were someone trying to duplicate the design and rip them off you could easily buy a set and take measurements of wire diameter, coil diameter, coil separation, etc. I wonder why all the cloak and dagger?

they do that whenever anyone questions the designs of their garbage products.

OP:
look into currie coils.

Here's a list that was compiled about 10 years ago so take it with a grain of salt, but it should give you a starting point.

Coil Springs:

BDS 3" XJ coil 240lbs/inch

Rough Country 9269, 4.5" 170lbs/in
Rough Country 9275, 6.5" 190lbs/in

Zone Offroad 4" XJ coil 240 lbs/inch

Full -Traction 3.5" 175 lbs/inch

Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" XJ coil 230 lbs/inch

RE1300 3.5" XJ coil 240 lbs/inch
RE1310 4.5" XJ coil 164 lbs/inch
RE1345 5.5" XJ coil 184 lbs/inch (4.5" on ZJ)
RE1358 7.5" XJ coil 213 lb/inch

Rustys 3" XJ standard coil 150 lbs/inch
Rustys 3" XJ Heavy Duty coil 180 lbs/inch
Rustsy 4.5" XJ coil 150 lbs/inch
Rustsy 6.5" XJ coil 150 lbs/inch
Rustys 9" XJ coil 180 lbs/inch

OME 930 XJ coil 160 lbs/inch ~2"
OME 934 ZJ coil 180 lbs/inch
Old Man Emu coil springs (A)= Driver side (B)= Passenger side

DPGXJ5 DPG Trailgunner 5" coils = 198lbs/in.

Rockkrawler 6.5" are 165 lbs/in
Rock Krawler 5.5'' coils: Front: 200 lbs/inch Rear: 235 lbs/inch
Rock Krawler 4.0'' coils: Front: 190 lbs/inch Rear: 225 lbs/inch

Teraflex 5" coils: Front: 240 lbs/inch Rear: 240 lbs/inch
Teraflex 4'' coils: Front: 200 lbs/inch Rear: 210 lbs/inch
Teraflex 3'' coils: Front: 170 lbs/inch Rear: 190 lbs/inch

Rancho 3" coils, at least the old coils give about 2 1/4" of lift on an XJ and have a very high 235 lb/in rate.

Sky Jacker 3" ZJ coils 218 lbs/in ~4" on a XJ

OEM is supposedly 147 lb/in rate.
OEM ZJ with 4.0 is supposedly 190 lb/in rate front and rear.

Tera 4" TJ coils give 4.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate , 20.25" tall unloaded
Tera 3" TJ coils give 3.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 170 lb/in rate

Leaf Springs:

OLD MAN EMU-CS034RA (OMEJC1A) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 230mm (9.055") free height= Average lift of ~3"
OLD MAN EMU-CS034RB (OMEJC1B) 5 leaves in pack, 148lbs/inch s.r. 205mm (8.07") free height
OLD MAN EMU-CS035RA (OMEJC2A) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 235mm (9.25") free height
OLD MAN EMU-CS035RB (OMEJC2B) 4 + 1 overload, 137/257lbs/in s.r. 210mm (8.27") free height
OLD MAN EMU- D22XL (OME Add A Leaf) ~ 1" lift on top of their lift packs

Old Man Emu springs (+) = driver side (-)= passenger side

RE1463 3.5" (6 leaf) = 190lbs/in
RE1462 4.5" (6 leaf) = 190lbs/in

DPG Off Road -XJ35-0 DPG TrailGunner 5" Leafs (7 leaf) = 233lbs/in

Full-Traction 3.5" 200 lbs/inch

Skyjacker 2.5" leafs P/N: JC25R - 140 lbs/inch up to the overload spring

Back