NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 31st, 2021, 11:09
NAXJA Member

suggestions and knowledge for everything needed to do a overland/daily 3'' lift

If you aren’t doing anything crazy off-road then don’t do anything crazy money or lift wise.

I have 31’s on a 1.5” lift. No trimming or cutting required. Bump stop and steering stops need to be modified to stop rubbing but otherwise everything is good. I found old man emu 1.5” coils on Craigslist for $40 and I grabbed a junkyard set of leaf springs($35 each) and cut off the eye of the main spring and added that to my stock leaf pack. It adds a lot of stiffness and about .5” of lift(good for camping gear weight). Then I did a stinky fab shackle relocation bracket and shackles for a good and correct angle($250). Overall I am at 1.5/2” of lift on 31’s and stock otherwise(I did do an sye but not exactly necessary, just ready for my future lift and bigger tires).

I bent the stock brake lines straight and gained tons of length for suspension travel. Sway bar is gone in the back and gone in the front, but you can keep the stock one if you want. I think I am less than $400 or right around there total. It was a decent amount of work and time to swap things and remove junkyard leafs and search Craigslist and blah blah blah, but it was cheap and the result is good. Like the other guy said. These cars a pretty capable stock.

A taller xj on bigger tires is definitely cool and all but not necessary for most peoples 4x4 needs. The taller it is and bigger tires, the more wind resistance which results in less mpgs. And more modifications=more money. Stick to used Craigslist from people going bigger and ditching their good smaller stuff or junkyard Frankenstein the jeep on the cheap. That’s my opinion. With Honda’s you can usually get away with just wrenches. With jeeps you need to add angle grinders and a welder to most of your projects or modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk