• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suggestions and knowledge for everything needed to do a overland/daily 3'' lift

Ahvicha

NAXJA Forum User
hello everyone. I've done a little searching on here to see what people had to say about the subject. but i keep getting very mixed emotions from everyone about what's needed to do a 3'' lift. one that's good for a drive around town or on the highway, and through some trails to go camping in the woods. not looking to do any crazy crawling or mudding. just something versatile to get me where i want to be in the woods and to get me home on the 3 hour highway drive back. Again i need to know everything that's needed. i know im going to need to do extended break lines, and a new sway bar. but those are the only things that i can really think of right now. currently my xj is stock. i have 31 10.5 that are going to be going on it. i wouldn't mind just doing a 2in lift but i don't think ill get tire clearance at all. im sure with a 3in ill get a little more clearance but will still need to do trimming of some sort. im also not looking to kill the bank. 700 is really my top dollar that id want to spend on this. but also i don't really know what to expect. i see a lot of stuff thats anywhere from 300 to 2000. but again i just need something thats the best of both worlds in-between. if what you suggest isn't a complete kit. no big deal just let me know what else is needed to complete the lifting in full.

I don't think the answer you want can be given, particularly not with a $700 budget.

You can either buy someone's complete kit or piece things together. But even if you get a complete kit there are some variables you are going to have to figure out, such as whether or not you are going to need to run an SYE or not.

And I don't know what you are talking about with needing to get a new sway bar. That is a new one to me.

And at 3", longer brake lines are not necessarily required. Repositioning the hard lines is a viable option.

There is also the matter of what you are starting with. Is everything currently stone stock and unmolested? That is a rare situation anymore.

I can tell you that I am running something pretty close to your target. I am on 30" tires, but 31"s would be easy to fit if I wanted. I have OME leafs in the rear with angle blocks that probably get me another inch or so (yes, I am running an SYE). I ran Rubicon rear shocks for a while, but am now running Bilsteins with raised custom mounts on the axle. I am guessing your aren't likely to weld up custom mount, but the Rubicon (JK) take-offs are a fairly easy option. While doing the rear springs plan to make some changes to bumpstops. I am running Dirtbound (I think) upper spring plates and extended urethane stops (the type that looks like they have a "U" cut out in the lower end).

Up front I have springs of an unknown lift (sorry--they are what came with the vehicle--no clue as to their origin) plus Aluminum spacers I got off ebay. I have black JK take-off shocks up front. I am also running a RE trackbar and a Core 4x4 double shear trackbar mount. A couple of misalignment spacers plus a few hardened 1/2" washers makes the RE heim joint work with the Core 4x4 bracket.

Another detail to not overlook is a different speedometer gear for the T-case to go along with the different tire size.

There are lots of different ways to get where you want to go. In general, you will get what you pay for.

If you are really starting from scratch I would say call Dirk at DPG Offroad and ask him to put together a package for you. I am sure it will be over $700 though. OTOH, it will be good quality parts.

Yeah, unfortunately $700 isn't going to get you a complete overland build. Enjoy her for what she is until you have the cash. Stock XJs are still incredibly capable and it will probably get you most of anywhere you want to go.

I'd look at 2.5 to 3.5 lifts. Might look at ZONE (BDS). I do not think that kit has a trackbar though. I might be tempted to do an OTK trackbar. Still, a regular one would do. For extended brake hoses look at Raybestos and Wagner. They have them for 3-4 lifts. I have a front set on my 2" lift. I'd get some Crown bumpstops front and rear. Maybe some swaybar links extended, probably fixed ones for what you are doing.
I was at Winterfest a month or so ago. Mines a 4.5" lift with 32's. One of the groups I went with a woman was driving a stock. She kept up with the pack. Mine was probably the next lowest XJ of the event. So, what you plan will be plenty capable. Get some chains if you plan to see a lot of mud.

I don't think the answer you want can be given, particularly not with a $700 budget.

You can either buy someone's complete kit or piece things together. But even if you get a complete kit there are some variables you are going to have to figure out, such as whether or not you are going to need to run an SYE or not.

And I don't know what you are talking about with needing to get a new sway bar. That is a new one to me.

And at 3", longer brake lines are not necessarily required. Repositioning the hard lines is a viable option.

There is also the matter of what you are starting with. Is everything currently stone stock and unmolested? That is a rare situation anymore.

I can tell you that I am running something pretty close to your target. I am on 30" tires, but 31"s would be easy to fit if I wanted. I have OME leafs in the rear with angle blocks that probably get me another inch or so (yes, I am running an SYE). I ran Rubicon rear shocks for a while, but am now running Bilsteins with raised custom mounts on the axle. I am guessing your aren't likely to weld up custom mount, but the Rubicon (JK) take-offs are a fairly easy option. While doing the rear springs plan to make some changes to bumpstops. I am running Dirtbound (I think) upper spring plates and extended urethane stops (the type that looks like they have a "U" cut out in the lower end).

Up front I have springs of an unknown lift (sorry--they are what came with the vehicle--no clue as to their origin) plus Aluminum spacers I got off ebay. I have black JK take-off shocks up front. I am also running a RE trackbar and a Core 4x4 double shear trackbar mount. A couple of misalignment spacers plus a few hardened 1/2" washers makes the RE heim joint work with the Core 4x4 bracket.

Another detail to not overlook is a different speedometer gear for the T-case to go along with the different tire size.

There are lots of different ways to get where you want to go. In general, you will get what you pay for.

If you are really starting from scratch I would say call Dirk at DPG Offroad and ask him to put together a package for you. I am sure it will be over $700 though. OTOH, it will be good quality parts.

I get cha. If I’m 100 percent honest this is a whole new world to me. I grew up building Honda’s. So let’s just say the learning curve is gonna be tricky. But I think I’m getting a good grasp. Still slightly confused.
So this is what I’ve gathered. Things that are needed to do what I want to do
Springs, full leaf packs (probably the package I’m gonna want to go with considering these boys don’t look to hot). Control arms (adjustable or not adjustable? Does it matter for what I want to do or are just extended arms ok?), brake line relocation, larger sway bar links, SYE (depending on my pinion, or if I don’t get adjustable control arms, or just can’t handle the vibrations.). And then as far as my tire situation goes I’ve got 31 10.50. Will I need to run spacers for that or can I get away with minimal cutting. And then finally Lower the t case? Or is that one situational?

That's the one I was looking at, but am going to have to get the full spring pack because mine are completely shot. Rusty's had a nice looking advanced 3" kit but it is out of stock right now.
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...t-kits/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-advanced-kit.html

BTW, I am fixing up a new to me 2001 4WD and I have been doing the prep work for quickly throwing on a lift kit...new ball joints, brakes, u-joints, etc...and I noticed a clunk from the track bar mount on the axle. The hole was pretty wallowed out and I saw this kit from Kevin's offroad mentioned here. Pretty cheap and it really tightened up the mount. Just figured I'd pass it along.
https://kevinsoffroad.com/collectio...bar-bushings-plus-upgraded-track-bar-hardware

Watch Rusty's on shipping. Just factor it into the cost. I didn't check what their full spring pack goes for.
Here's my view on Rear Springs:
Old Man Emu : Roughly $450 complete. I have a set but not installed yet.
Rubicon Express : $350 Should be VG
Iron Rock Offroad : VG needs their Boomerrang shackle or shackle relocation kit
Zone : $300 should be good
Rough Country: I have a set installed. Its an older set. Mine doesn't have the anti-friction pads. It took a few years for it to settle down from 6" + to the 4.5". $250 ??

Check around for a track bar. I do have some of Kevin's products. Good stuff. Look at Iron Rock, RE, JKS etc. Just ask here first to see others opinions. Plenty of options and prices. I'd say $220 or so.

Front Springs : ??? I have Pro Comps on mine. I just ordered some Metal Cloaks 3.5" for a build. $210 shipped. I think you could find some good springs for what you'll be doing for $120-150. I have a set from IRO for $109 on my 2" build.
I'd look at IRO for shocks, mainly the Doetch-Tech $200?

I'd check out CORE for adjustable control arms, or even see if anyone has some used. I do not think the CORE Stage 1's are much more than fixed, maybe even less. I think $300 for both upper and lowers. Some use WJ lowers for a 3-3.5" lift.

Brake Hoses, I mentioned Wagner and Raybestos. I have a set of JKS coated ones. The outer sheath has pealed off to an extent.

Bump stops: I've used Crown.

SYE or Hack N Tap: Look at IRO or others. I have a HnT on my 4.5" lift. You might need to do a custom driveshaft with 3-3.5" lift. I'd drive it first and see if you get vibes.

I think at 3-3.5" you might not need trimming with 31's

Edit: I do recommend you get a Steering Gear Box spacer. The aluminum one can crack. They are under $50. Yes, on my present build, the stock one was cracked. It can lead to Death Wobble. Also, some additional items to add later are a steering box brace. I have the Kevins Offroad. MORE and others have them too. Also, there are Trackbar braces. I think North Ridge one is universal. I have Ironman, Sticky Fab and Rubicon Express. Those need the Trackbar bracket from that vendor to work. For the OP's level of build, it might be overkill.

Last edited:
That's the one I was looking at, but am going to have to get the full spring pack because mine are completely shot. Rusty's had a nice looking advanced 3" kit but it is out of stock right now.
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...t-kits/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-advanced-kit.html

BTW, I am fixing up a new to me 2001 4WD and I have been doing the prep work for quickly throwing on a lift kit...new ball joints, brakes, u-joints, etc...and I noticed a clunk from the track bar mount on the axle. The hole was pretty wallowed out and I saw this kit from Kevin's offroad mentioned here. Pretty cheap and it really tightened up the mount. Just figured I'd pass it along.
https://kevinsoffroad.com/collectio...bar-bushings-plus-upgraded-track-bar-hardware[/

Ok got cha. So do you think this lift will do ok and get me on the road with some what minimal vibrations or issues. I just need something to get it up and driving is there any other Recommendations on parts or ideas I might need after doing such a lift?

I'd stay with 2" of lift. The extra inch of lift isn't necessary and starts introducing other problems.

2" will have Good road manners while keeping most parts stock. No need for SYE, lowered case, brake lines etc. Stock control arms are fine. May need to add bumpstops but maybe not. Flex test it.

Should stuff 30" tire with no trimming.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

O/P says he's already got the 31s.

Anyhow, I'll toss one other tidbit in - you are probably going to want to shim the steering stops on the knuckles a little bit, or the front tires will be rubbing the lower control arms at full lock. The stops are (if memory serves) just bolts on the knuckles, so just pull them a put a couple washers on them.

Spacers should not be needed for either 30s or 31s - I've run both on the stock alloys my '92 came with; only needed the steering stop adjustment for the 30x9.50s, but could stand a little bit of bumpstop adjustment for the current 31x10.50s to keep out of the fenders (but the wheel openings on a 92 may be slightly different from the ones on an 01, so your results may vary).

I have 31's on my 2" build. Mine are a metric tire and I think a bit thinner than the width the OP has. Mine do fit and look good.

Edit: Mine are a LY 245/75/R16. That should be a 30.5 and 8 or 9 wide. I think most 31's are 30.5. I did not measure with a tape though. I remember measuring a set of 31's years ago as 30.5" .

Last edited:
Are all new parts required ? I put together a Rubicon Express 3.5" superide lift for less than $700 by scrounging in the junkyard, checking the NAXJA for sale section and wheeling and dealing parts on eBay. It took almost 6 months, but I saved a bunch of cash that I used for an SYE and driveshaft.

I bought 4 RE lower control arms from a Wrangler owner, and sold the two nicest ones for almost what I paid for all four. I bought some good used RE leaf springs for 1/2 price from a NAXJA member. I found some newer RE coils in the junkyard for $35. I bought a new RE track bar. I bought 4 shocks from a local XJ owner that was lifting higher.

One of the guys in my local Jeep club built a 3.25" lift bastard spring pack from a 2.5" RE Add-A-Leaf and a stock XJ leaf pack picked up for free on Craigslist. 100,000 miles later and it still works great and has not sagged.

At $700 I'd consider doing upcountry coils or ACOS, shackle relocation boxes, double shear trackbar, sway bar disconnects, decent shocks, solid tie rod (either ZJ upgrade or a new one) and possibly steering refresh (new TRE's).

If you aren’t doing anything crazy off-road then don’t do anything crazy money or lift wise.

I have 31’s on a 1.5” lift. No trimming or cutting required. Bump stop and steering stops need to be modified to stop rubbing but otherwise everything is good. I found old man emu 1.5” coils on Craigslist for $40 and I grabbed a junkyard set of leaf springs($35 each) and cut off the eye of the main spring and added that to my stock leaf pack. It adds a lot of stiffness and about .5” of lift(good for camping gear weight). Then I did a stinky fab shackle relocation bracket and shackles for a good and correct angle($250). Overall I am at 1.5/2” of lift on 31’s and stock otherwise(I did do an sye but not exactly necessary, just ready for my future lift and bigger tires).

I bent the stock brake lines straight and gained tons of length for suspension travel. Sway bar is gone in the back and gone in the front, but you can keep the stock one if you want. I think I am less than $400 or right around there total. It was a decent amount of work and time to swap things and remove junkyard leafs and search Craigslist and blah blah blah, but it was cheap and the result is good. Like the other guy said. These cars a pretty capable stock.

A taller xj on bigger tires is definitely cool and all but not necessary for most peoples 4x4 needs. The taller it is and bigger tires, the more wind resistance which results in less mpgs. And more modifications=more money. Stick to used Craigslist from people going bigger and ditching their good smaller stuff or junkyard Frankenstein the jeep on the cheap. That’s my opinion. With Honda’s you can usually get away with just wrenches. With jeeps you need to add angle grinders and a welder to most of your projects or modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back