• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash not working

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
My son put an amp in a 92 XJ and went thru the fire wall by the fuse box. He didn't hit the fuse box , but the day after installing it the kids instruments quit working, Fuel gauge, oil pressure, tach, amp gauge. His stereo too. Any ideas on what I should look at when he brings it by tomorrow. This was one of those huge 1200 watt amps.
Thanks for any help :repair:

Last edited:
boise49ers said:
My son put an amp in a 92 XJ and went thru the fire wall by the fuse box. He didn't hit the fuse box , but the day after installing it the kids instruments quit working, Fuel gauge, oil pressure, tach, amp gauge. His stereo too. Any ideas on what I should look at when he brings it by tomorrow. This was one of those huge 1200 watt amps.
Thanks for any help :repair:

I'm no mechanic, but it seems either he scraped a hot wire or attached to a lead that couldn't handle the amp. My son , in the process of doing the same thing(huge amp) attached some subsidiary wire to the power antenna lead and litterally hot wired it!! Power ant would work all day ; up and down; until battery drained. Took several days to figure this out with my limited skills.

Bill

No they attached a fused link directly to the Battery. I think they probably yanked out a connector under the dash when they routed the Power lead thru the Firewall.
Thanks though !

I have installed a few amp audio system and the most common mistakes that i would check are the connections of tthe headunit harness sespecially the amp turn on lead, the power ant and light wires ( cd player wiring). Check the main power wire to the amp for any abrasions ? Check faulty speaker wiring as it sometimes shorts stuff.

pete

Back