• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help On My First Gun Purchase

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I've done it and finally convinced my Dad its time to purchase. With the future uncertain in the state of this country right now its time for me to arm myself. I'm looking mainly for home protection, but I need it to be good enough for any possible street fighting as well. Something fairly light, portable, low maintenance, and dependable. I really only have about 3-400 dollars to work with. I hope that's enough money to get something decent. This needs to be something that can be used to my advantage in survival situations as well. Must be good enough for martial law scenario, civil unrest, and anti "black helicopter" haha. Right now I'm focused on the Mossberg 590. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

I would say an M4 type rifle along with a 1911 type pistol would be ideal in a lot of different situations. 3-400 bucks wont get you very far tho, youll have to double that to get something decent. There are a few taurus pistols for around $400 tho. Check out the Taurus 24/7 in .40 or .45

Alright I've done it and finally convinced my Dad its time to purchase. With the future uncertain in the state of this country right now its time for me to arm myself. I'm looking mainly for home protection, but I need it to be good enough for any possible street fighting as well. Something fairly light, portable, low maintenance, and dependable. I really only have about 3-400 dollars to work with. I hope that's enough money to get something decent. This needs to be something that can be used to my advantage in survival situations as well. Must be good enough for martial law scenario, civil unrest, and anti "black helicopter" haha. Right now I'm focused on the Mossberg 590. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

12 gage shot gun. Something like the winchester defender.

shotgun.jpg

7+1 with 6 on the side. Hit someone with one full load of 00 buck shot and it's like hitting them with 10 to 12 9mm bullets, or so I have read.

What the hell is so funny about that? You must have been living under a rock the past few months. Things are not getting better, they are getting worse. The sooner you come to grips with this the better off you will be. Why is it so hard for people to comprehend civil unrest? I know it has not happened in along time which is good, but at this particular time it is a growing possibility.
gross1.gif

What do you people have against being prepared?

I am plenty prepared. But like a responsible person, i dont run out and think "Gun" when the stock markets fail! i plink around in the hills, but seriously.. your out of your mind if your buying a gun to "Be prepared" im guessing if you wouldnt of had to ask your father when Y2k came creepin up, Or right after 9/11 you would of wanted a gun then too?

Take a few hunter safety courses. Learn something about Firearm safety. what the hell is it with people today? You give every single gun owner here a bad name! Go buy some tires or something.

It is highly unlikely that you would need to use your weapon on another human being unless we were invaded by a foreign governement.

Still I'd rather over prepared than under.

I wouldn't worry too much about civil unrest, or think you'll need a large weapon to walk down your street.

Ya know, its guys like Jester that we all go running to when shit hits the fan and we are all so surprised and unprepared
not all of us are unprepared ;) most of us prepare for the worst and hope for the best. at least, thats how i was brought up. you dont need to fear what might happen till it gets here.... if the world is going to end so be it, you should be prepared to protect and provide for your family no matter what either way. :dunno:

there is prepared, and then there is paranoid. you should move to northern michigan, they have (or.. had) compounds there you can join full of like minded individuals :cheers:

Im all about gun ownership and protecting yourself/family and all that. However, getting a gun because you think the country is about to fall in on its self any day and we are all going marshal law... Not the best idea.

Lets say worst case, the country does collapse it becomes survival of the fittest/best armed. What chance does a first time gun owner with a $300 special have against seasoned shooters with assault rifles, really?

If its for self protection in the realm of reality then,
Home protection = shotgun
Carry = Springfield armory XD9

Im all about gun ownership and protecting yourself/family and all that. However, getting a gun because you think the country is about to fall in on its self any day and we are all going marshal law... Not the best idea.

Lets say worst case, the country does collapse it becomes survival of the fittest/best armed. What chance does a first time gun owner with a $300 special have against seasoned shooters with assault rifles, really?

More than someone with a cell phone trying to remember the number for 911 :eek:

You are more likely to need a gun to hunt for food. You might consider getting a nice 22 rifle with a nice scope. Cheap gun, cheap ammo, and you can use it to live instead of kill others.

n505688211_846932_2541.jpg

Why not just get one of each variety? The one furthest to the right is a Mossberg 590 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: and there's an XD9 or 40 at the bottom in the holster. The first two I buy will most likely be a 590 and an XD.
(My brother's collection)

~Alex

For a first gun purchase, there's nothing wrong with a shotgun. For hunting, I've used a shotgun more than any other gun. Then there's trap and skeet. Both are a lot of fun. A 12 gauge pump also works well in the home protection role. For the price, you can't beat it. I've got an AR-15 and several pistols, but for home protection, the 12 gauge is what is loaded and handy.

I'm the type of person who goes down "all guns blazing." I will fight to my death. If I'm outnumbered and outgunned so be it, its my time to go then. I have experience with guns. I've gone hunting several times with men who are 50+ and have showed me the ropes. I've shot a lot of skeet too. I know the proper safety measures. I have always wanted a form of personal protection. I have not felt the need until recently, not just because things are looking bad, but because I have moved into the heart of the city and am living in what is considered a high crime area. Its rumored amongst the neighborhood that my neighbor is a crack dealer. I see different cars coming and going from there all the time. Either way, if shit starts getting crazy, I'm going to be right in the middle of it. Now someone tell me I don't have the right to be armed...

there is prepared, and then there is paranoid. you should move to northern michigan, they have (or.. had) compounds there you can join full of like minded individuals :cheers:

Thank you, but i'm perfectly happy standing in the front yard bare-assed, shouting incoherent slogans about the next revolutionary war, and wielding a shot gun.:anon:

Back