• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good Header replacement for cracked header?

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
my goal is to find a good performing, durable header for just under 250 dollars anybody know of a good brand and where to buy it? I heard the tri-y is a good header design and there are several stainless ones (no name) on ebay for 200? let me know thanks

Pacesetter or Dynomax. Both are tri-y and come with new downtube to connect to the cat.

Be very weary of front driveshaft clearance though especially if your not lifted when installing a new downtube. Did my swap a couple weeks ago and am still sorting it out.

why not just save some cash and get an APN stock exhaust manifold since the XJ already came with a tubular header manifold???

I just got my edlebrock header the other week and it cost me 400 bucks with ceramic coating. if you want a decent reliable header then you better fork out some cash because any header for under 300 bucks will be no better than the stock one you have now. Trust me i know ive been looking at this stuff for a few months now because one of the tubes that go into the collector on my stock header is cracked 3/4 of the way around.

header015a.jpg

Edelbrock!!

I still have a new header and gasket set for my XJ. Got one of those no-name stainless ones with the expansion chambers. Turns out my header isn't cracked, so now I'm trying to sell that off cheap, too. How much do the Edlebrocks run? Back then it was Borla or no-name, and Borla was like $600.

codyyy said:
I still have a new header and gasket set for my XJ. Got one of those no-name stainless ones with the expansion chambers. Turns out my header isn't cracked, so now I'm trying to sell that off cheap, too. How much do the Edlebrocks run? Back then it was Borla or no-name, and Borla was like $600.

i got my borla in 2002 or 2003 for $369.

been very happy with it. I cant add much about the bargain ebay ones, i dont know anyone that has one of them. Edlebrock stuff is always nice, check out the banks one. I think the banks uses a lesser stainless than borla. one is 304 the other is 6061 if i remember. I may have the numbers reveresed. I aint no metalurg'ist .... the banks is welded on both the outside and the inside also so thats a neat feature not sure if anyone else does that.

You do pay a lil for the name, all that advertising isnt cheap .... but this isnt a trim piece, it gets ferociously hot and cools and hot and cools,that easily achieved, not coroding and not failing is another thing. I dont think anyone can make a quality header for the prices i have heard ebay headers go for.

though at $600 for a borla i would maybe look a bit myself ..... but i am jsut glad its not an issue for me and i got mine "cheap" for $369

sounds badass with the 50 series flowmaster, and 2 1/2" pipes/

I bought my pacesetter for about 215, and I also believe they changed downtube design. The secondarys wrap under the drivetrain then to the collector.

They had to send me a new piece after clearance issues

i have the gibson header. it made a nice difference when i put it on. i got an extra one still in the box that i bought when i did my first engine swap. i put it on and the lower flange where it meets the exhaust was like a 1/16th from touching the lip where the oil pan mounts on. it would still work maybe just grind it down a little or use a thicker gasket. id probably be willing to sell it for 175.00.

The edllebrock one i got was $412 with ceramic coating, but it was the only one that ive come across that is California emissions legal.

APN headers are 321 stainless which is more thermal stress resistant than 304 ( 321 is better for headers that are prone to cracking).

300 series stainless won't rust, 400 series stainless will get a surface coat of rust but shouldn't rust through.

What are you APN guys using for a downtube? I like the price of the APN, but I also don't mind buying quality.

I'm also looking at Kevin's system ( http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/exhaust.html ), because my cat and muffler are original '96 parts, and in need of replacement.

It's seems that the original downtube is a huge source of restriction.

Steve

wow the prices for all these aftermarket big name headers are pretty high... for $400 you can get the APN header, the stock 2.25" downpipe, 2.25-2 1/2" adaptor, 2 1/2" in/out hi flow cat, 2 1/2 center in/offset out flow master 40 series all shipped to your door.
apn: 145
downpipe: 75
adaptor: 2
hi flow cat: 60
muffler: 75
total is about $375 and a majority of this stuff you can get from your local auto parts store (IE: cat, down pipe, adaptor, muffler) the only thing to order is the APN header and it flows pretty nice. Just get an exhaust wrap for it.

Back