• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local shops: gear/locker install and tranny install

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
What are the best shops in the Sac/NorCal area to have lockers & gears set up in regards to price and quality etc? Andy do you/would you set them up cheap this winter or in the near future now that your rig is up and running? Anyone else do this thing and have the tool to do it? I think my bro wants 4.88 gears in his rev dana 30/44 with lock-rite or a detroit rear/arb front. Does anyone have a built dana 30 for sale?

Also since my tranny blew in my 98' zj, I need to either get a J&W/boneyard tranny or get it rebuilt. Where do you guys suggest and how much do you think it would cost to rebuild an auto tranny with overdrive? AAmco wanted $2,500 or so. Please advise.
thanks...Troy

Almost all the shops I priced in Sac area were $300-$350 for labor. 4wheelparts had a special at some point for %50 off labor or something like that. Search for my post asking the same thing. Got alot of suggestions there.

basalt51 said:
Almost all the shops I priced in Sac area were $300-$350 for labor. 4wheelparts had a special at some point for %50 off labor or something like that. Search for my post asking the same thing. Got alot of suggestions there.

Thanks Jason for the advice. Do you mean $300-350 per axle for just installing gears or do you think I could get them to do lockers too? I know that everything comes out anyways with gears, so it shouldn't be that much to do a locker at that time too. Ryan Brown gave me a nice quote of $150/axle, he is just kind of far down there in San Diego. Where did you go to get so "hardcore" and "set-up"? :sure: :rolleyes: :D

ChuckD said:
You can't go wrong with RawBrown, well worth the drive.
Yeah he mentioned you going down there early and then leaving late. I think he said he did 3 axles for you. He is a nice guy and I'm strongly leaning towards using him for my bros rig. Just have to talk Nate into taking a trek down there with me, I have always wanted to see San Diego/SoCal. I think we would rent a trailer and then haul the xj down with Nate's Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. He just put a tornado behind the stock air box and when Nate floors the truck I was pinned in the seat and my seat belt looked, that truck is definately powerful, we'll see how it tows. My other brother-in-law in IL has a f-250 diesel and that thing is an awesome towing vehicle, but it has lots of low end torque. Anyways, thanks for the advice Chuck I appreciate it.

Back