• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help with AC Line Gaskets/O-rings

98Redbird

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced the Evaporator over the weekend because it was leaking, also replaced the heater core as well as the AC Accumulator. Let the system sit with a vacuum on it for an hour after everything was reassembled, it held fine. Charged the system, it worked for about 2 days, and now the compressor is short cycling. Started looking for a leak and found one it appears on the line running from the accumulator to the compressor.

Now, my question is in regards to the gaskets/orings supplied with the accumulator. The factory setup just had the O-ring. Nothing else. So that's what I installed it with. Apparently that was incorrect with this new accumulator?

They ship this one with Orings in addition to these little metal gaskets. Do I use the metal gasket in conjunction with the oring? Has anyone dealt with this style before? I've never seen a metal gasket like this used along with an oring, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any help would be appreciated, it was 93 here today with dewpoints in the low 70's lol.

Also, if you do use those little metal gaskets, what do you do with the tabs that go over the studs? Just bend them over or break them off?

Is it possible that the accumulator you purchased is not the correct one for your vehicle, was packaged wrong, defective, or some half baked shoddy part? Do you have a picture or a link to the item that has a picture?

I'm pretty sure it's the correct part. Here's a few pictures...

20170612_174149_0606f463a3df3b570f3044b5b74fa9ef378ca81e.jpg

20170612_174135_21400e0c6d91361730d16dae7d560c09135f0309.jpg

20170612_174408_98f76ee9a0d680f3968297b60335734b74b2e820.jpg

Those gaskets are for the wrangler as far as I know might just be a universal kit they package with every set up, if your original did not use them and you bought the same set up, it's possible you have nicked an o ring on the suction line. Might need to change it out and oil the new o ring with some Pag oil before reassemble. Clean the mating surface really well and look for cracks in case the nuts were over tightened.

Back