• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock recommendations for 1.5" lift

the TURD

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, new member here.

I've owned my XJ for 2 years now (just hit 190K), and has had sagging stock springs and shocks the whole time. I'm going to redo the suspension using ZJ upcountry front coils and a new HD leaf pack in the rear, basically following this recipe with a few changes http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

I'm looking for a little lift (1.5") and a firmer more controlled suspension. I don't need it to be flexy, and would like to eliminate the wallowing and brake dive. I don't do that much off-roading (only a couple times per year), so a firmer suspension that provides a nicer on-road experience is my target.

What I'd like to know is what recommendations do you have for shocks. The article recommends Monroe sensa-tracs. If the front shocks they recommend were available, I'd have ordered them already, but they seem to be discontinued. That has me looking at alternatives. I'd love some Adjustable shocks, or nice fox shocks but $100 each is a bit too much for my budget. The Crown Heavy duty shocks seem like they might be what I'm looking for, but I cant find the compressed/expanded length specs anywhere...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56019_0003.htm

any other recommendations or info?

Thanks
Jesse

If that's your price range I would just p/u some KYB's!

Kybs are pretty good. The excel g shock is more of a factory replacement and the gas a just is a little firmer. If you do bar pin eliminators all around you can use the factory lengthy shocks or just make some 1 in spacers at the bar pins.

Kybs are pretty good. The excel g shock is more of a factory replacement and the gas a just is a little firmer. If you do bar pin eliminators all around you can use the factory length shocks or just make some 1 in spacers at the bar pins.

Exactly. Could also use JK shocks with bar pin eliminators; I did with my 2" lift.

I run KYB excel-g on my Ford Ranger. It's gives the ol' girl a nice ride for what it is.

Exactly. Could also use JK shocks with bar pin eliminators; I did with my 2" lift.

I run KYB excel-g on my Ford Ranger. It's gives the ol' girl a nice ride for what it is.

JK front shocks are looking like a pretty good option right now. Just looked up some spec on KYBs site.

XJ shock
19.96" Ext
12.8" Comp
7.17" Stroke

JK Shock
21.57" Ext
13.7" Comp
7.87" Stroke

That is 1.6" longer extended and .9" longer compressed.

I guess I'll have to make or buy some sort of bar pin or bar pin eliminator for the bottom mount, but it shouldn't be too hard, I'm pretty handy with a welder and grinder.

If you have removed your rear sway bar, you can use the link brackets.

tell me about this please. I removed the sway bar long ago but just finally remove the spring plates and brackets. I can reuse the rear sway bar brackets for something usefull?

In case you never figured this out chuck...

mac 'was digging for a link for someone else' gyvr

Old Man Emu Sport shocks come in two lengths and are valved for an XJ. Ride and handling is a great balance between performance and comfort.

Back