• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix idle issue

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
yup I searched and read, symptoms are different. after warm up and returning to idle it stalls out. So coming up to a stop sign, brake, get to a stop and it stalls, starts right up. Grounds all good, new IAC, new plugs wires dist cap. TPS checked and reset. can't find any vacuum leaks. suggestions, may end up with it in the shop. TIA, John

RNMedic said:
yup I searched and read, symptoms are different. after warm up and returning to idle it stalls out. So coming up to a stop sign, brake, get to a stop and it stalls, starts right up. Grounds all good, new IAC, new plugs wires dist cap. TPS checked and reset. can't find any vacuum leaks. suggestions, may end up with it in the shop. TIA, John

Try disconnecting your connectors one at a time and spray them with WD-40. I just did this to my 90 and my idle picked up 200 rpm and smoothed out. We had 7 inches of rain here last week from TS Fay and everything is wet.

Did you check TPS w/analog VM?
May test good at WOT and closed throttle, but intermittant in the middle.

Thanks, egr AND egr solenoid good, checked the tps with Digital voltmeter and was out a little reset to .8 volts at idle and smooth across the throttle. Will the CPS cause uneven idle but no starting problems???

installed the CPS I had in the garage,purchased January 2007:roflmao: new dealer item high altitude also, 20 minute fix, with my 11 yo passing tools, slightly better but not completely gone. Any other ideas, John

Did you clean the connectors? The connectors on the RENIX are fickle suckers at best. The least little bit of corrosion/resistance makes RENIX act stupid.

John, try cleaning inside the throttle body, where the throttle plate meets the throttle body housing. Carbon tends to coke up at that point, and will affect the idle quality.....

Clean the idle passages in the throttle body. The one where the IAC is and the one on the left side also.

thanks for the suggestions, already done all that took the TB of to replace the IAC so I could clean everything, all connectors done also. Thanks, keep them coming.

My '89 does the same thing as well. I'm thinking it's a fuel problem, either not enough or too much which is flooding it.

My '89 was doing this as well. I went to Auto Zone and bought a couple cans of CNC electronics cleaner. I disconnected EVERY connector under the hood and cleaned them all up. While I was doing this I found that my MAP sensor was partially unplugged along with a couple others that were loose. Cleaned all of them up and put electric grease in them all and now it runs 8 times better than it was before... Probably will help you out a lot as well...

Having a similar issue with my '87.. its hard to start if it sits more than a couple of days.. and it runs rough, like a carbed motor untill it gets warm... had kind of an erratic idle even after its warmed up but won't stall like it does when its cold.

stephenspann27 said:
Having a similar issue with my '87.. its hard to start if it sits more than a couple of days.. and it runs rough, like a carbed motor untill it gets warm... had kind of an erratic idle even after its warmed up but won't stall like it does when its cold.
For your problem I would say the check valve in the fuel pump. Try turning the key on for 3-5 seconds (not to start) and then cranking. This allows the fuel pump to prime the system and build up fuel pressure that has bled down over a couple of days.

stephenspann27 said:

I am still fighting a similar problem with my 90 Renix. This is very common problem written about in many different threads. No magic bullet cures found yet that I know about. For me if I adjust the TPS one way I end up the next day with a fast idle. If I re-adjust the other way the engine won't start or starts and runs like one of the plug wires is off. I haven't tried leaving the engine side of the TPS unplugged, but that's next. Funny thing is the Jeep has to sit overnight to act flaky even though I callibrate the TPS on a cold engine! :eek:

PuddinHead said:
I am still fighting a similar problem with my 90 Renix. This is very common problem written about in many different threads. No magic bullet cures found yet that I know about. For me if I adjust the TPS one way I end up the next day with a fast idle. If I re-adjust the other way the engine won't start or starts and runs like one of the plug wires is off. I haven't tried leaving the engine side of the TPS unplugged, but that's next. Funny thing is the Jeep has to sit overnight to act flaky even though I callibrate the TPS on a cold engine! :eek:

PuddinHead try checking for vacuum leaks. Mine had a couple of intake bolts just finger tight. Once I had them torqued down my idle problems went away.

90Blue_XJ said:
PuddinHead try checking for vacuum leaks. Mine had a couple of intake bolts just finger tight. Once I had them torqued down my idle problems went away.

I'll take a look at those bolts. With the engine side of the TPS disconnected she runs fine--for now.

Back