• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl hood the right way

Very Very nice work. It's hard to see in the pictures but did you use metal dowels for the structural pieces? I'm assuming you removed them after you welded in the sides?

Jim

Hey Jim the "dowels" are actually 1/4" steel rod I used to form a frame to weld the cowl to. I left it all in there because the hood would be flimsy without the extra support.

nice work,
what did you do too separate the sheet metal from the supporting structure? when I look at my hood it has a dark glue holding it together.
eric

Updating this since Photobucket trashed my posts.

Jeep Hood (10) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (29) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (12) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (6) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (25) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (23) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (24) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (1) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (4) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (16) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (15) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (21) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Jeep Hood (9) by Troy Henderson, on Flickr

Great work~ Thanks for un-screwing PB's trash!

I noticed in one of your pics the right wiper arm looked like it's not there. I have a regulation Reflexxion cowl hood, and had to add limiting struts to the hood so it wouldn't open so far and hit the right wiper post. Does your hood do the same? And excellent work - your hood looks great!

2ELz0oP.jpg

I noticed in one of your pics the right wiper arm looked like it's not there. I have a regulation Reflexxion cowl hood, and had to add limiting struts to the hood so it wouldn't open so far and hit the right wiper post. Does your hood do the same? And excellent work - your hood looks great!

2ELz0oP.jpg

I'm sure you know the stock hoods have two hole you can prop the rod into. The 2nd one puts the hood near verticle and barely rubs the wiper but they both clear so you can pull the engine with the hood on. I tried to take that into account when I built it anyhow. Thanks for the nice words!

I'm sure you know the stock hoods have two hole you can prop the rod into. The 2nd one puts the hood near verticle and barely rubs the wiper but they both clear so you can pull the engine with the hood on. I tried to take that into account when I built it anyhow. Thanks for the nice words!

I wasn't aware of this. I'll have to check my XJs to see.

The 2nd hole wasn't enough hood opening to get in there and work comfortably w/o creasing your gourd on the hood. The limiting struts allow the hood to open about midway between the two prop rod holes, and I have plenty of room now.

Back