• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just curious...

docboy209

NAXJA Forum User
I just had an idea pop into my head about true dual exhaust. Anybody do this yet? Haven't found any posts.

I have a '98 4.0 with the stock manifold. I was thinking about using the seperate manifolds from an '01, the close coupled cats, and then just running 2 pipes welded together for clearance reasons out the back. Since it's my daily driver I figured on using the bank 1 upstream O2 sensor, and the bank 2 downstream O2 sensor to fool the PCM therefore not tripping the check engine light for rich/lean/convertor efficiency codes. Then where the muffler is now just spread the pipes and stagger some slim glass packs just to calm the noise a bit.

Any thoughts???

I researched this very idea last year and discovered it is not worth the effort.
Search dual exhaust with my username for the thread.

By the way, its against forum rules to add your own signature at the bottom of your posts...

Not TOO much trouble if you already have the manifolds and cats:flipoff:. I did a search and finally found that thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39186&highlight=dual+exhaust

My answer is as I said above:banghead: Anyone here with any '00-up 4.0L equipped XJ, WJ, TJ ever looked at their exhaust manifolds? The pipes are already flanged to the close coupled cats. Cut them just before the collector and dual pipe from there. Maybe put a crossover pipe just ahead of a set of thin, round, glass pack mufflers. Or even use just a set of cheap resonators in place of mufflers if you don't care about the noise.

I'm not really an off-roader. I'm trying to make a cheap, "sleeper" type street machine. If I had the money I'd just drop in the drivetrain out of a '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. I'm a tech at a dealer so I have the tools and access to all the diagnostic, reprogramming, and factory service manuals to do it. If I had the money:(

Back