• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible damage to cylinder head or head gasket?

Mirage mobile

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ, 4.0L

During a recent coolant flush, I believe I ran the engine with an insufficient coolant inventory. While using a cleaner product the jeep idled and warmed up to ~200 F normally. However, after 1 minute of operation at ~200 F, the temp gauge shot to 260 F and I immediately shut the engine down.

What is the proper process to determine if I've caused any overheating damage?

1. Monitor coolant level and inspect coolant contamination in the oil as I drive daily?

2. I may have the intake/exhaust headers off soon and could pull the cylinder head and investigate if needed (never done this)?

I've driven one trip (~10 miles) after completing the coolant flush and did have to add more coolant afterwards. Engine temperatures were fine during this trip. Could the need to add coolant be due to air leaving the system or coolant entering the oil system?

Appreciate any advice

I would think a pressure test of the cooling system would be the official way to test a head or gasket. I seriously doubt it though. I had a cooling problem on the freeway once and it overheated to the point of the computer shutting it down. No ill effects after cool down and fixing the problem over 100k miles ago.

Open the radiator cap and see if there's an oily
or sooty residue in the coolant. Also look for
bubbles with the engine idleing. If nothing is found,
I think you're OK.

AM real tired.., gotta crash. I'll be brief.., real brief, i.e., just a few thoughts.., I'll let the experts chime in to get you truck'in. Me, I don't think you caused any major damage, lol, well the odds, and evens are 50/50. Since you shut down quickly I'd think that even though the fluid got really hot, the metal probably did not get that hot, such as being driven. However heat soak could cause a problem where the expense will blah, blah, blah. I'd look on the bright side and figure there was a lot of trapped air creating something like a vapor lock, or the prevention of fluid moment.

One thing--Did you also run your heater on high as most require, or not, while filling up with the anti-freeze mix? When you did your flush did you unscrew the plug on the driver's side of the engine to drop even more fluid?When refilling did your block/radiator/hoses/heater take the total proper amount of coolant as specified on labels, charts?

With the engine dead-cold, i.e., before ever starting it up.., check your oil dip stick for some water beads. Re-do the dip stick check several times in one minute. Do this slowly, as water will slide off the stick easily. Open up your radiator cap, and see if there are any little globules of oil beads floating on top of the anti-freeze mix. In either case you have a problem.

Best wishes

Back