• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinion on Golden Mountain

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Over on TNJeeps, there is a Jeeper that was asking about Golden Mountain. One of the other guys on the forum (an LJ owner who apparently lives a couple miles from the park and doesn't go there anymore) said that the moderate trails at Golden Mountain will tear everything up and cause body damage, like it did to his old Bronco, and is best left to buggies.

I chimed in and disagreed with him, citing the trails we ran at the Fall Flog a couple years back and the lack of body damage.

Am I mis-remembering that park that much? I don't really think I am.

I think it has to do with driver skill. He prob doesnt know how to drive offroad. I bet he considers pinstripes body damage. They are a bunch of mall crawlers anyway. Theyre just used to that stupid dirt devil trail.

I went there in March and ran about every moderate trail there and a few harder ones. I didn't get any huge body damage, what I did was mostly a result from a line I was taking or slid into taking lol. There are certainly some trails for buggies, but by no means is it a buggy only park.

I want to go there. Is it worth towing the Ghost that far vs say Harlan? Yes I know it's apples and oranges but it is closer and I know a lot of you are closer to it. Really looking for a place closer then a 7 hour drive that I could do in a weekend. Thoughts? Also Cottontail these places change quick if they are hugely popular. Was this guy there recently? If so it may have changed a lot sense you were there. I also tend to agree that people have different views of what is what on a scale of damage. I think this group tends to view it as a necessary evil to have fun at times. We in the south have to deal with wet slippery trails with trees that like to eat our jeeps. :)

Yea an after Google mapping it I see why I have yet to go. Sparta is 433 miles and Harlan is 370.....

It's gnarly. There is one spot you are forced to shove your drivers side into a big rock while you kind of pivot around it with the passenger side up high, it looks awesome. I went up the trail next to honey bee which is like a bypass with a really fun twisted set of ledges and big rock points at the top.

I won't wheel GM if it's raining or been wet. It makes it nearly impossible to wheel in my XJ without tearing up the body. It is a blast when dry.

It is small in comparison to Harlan. I like it since it's only about an hour and 15 minutes from my house.

I won't wheel GM if it's raining or been wet. It makes it nearly impossible to wheel in my XJ without tearing up the body. It is a blast when dry.

It is small in comparison to Harlan. I like it since it's only about an hour and 15 minutes from my house.

X2 on wheeling there if its wet...

I enjoy riding there, its a short 45 min interstate ride for us and we used to ride there a good bit, its been better than a year since Ive been. As stated above, its like anywhere else, driver error has a lot to do with it and it's gonna happen, just part of it.

I've been to GM past three years to dixi run with my GFs family and wheeled with them, the gfs dad's fully restored CJ6 with 2.5" lift gets wheeled up there and dosent have any damage to the body. a stock XJ could be wheeled up there with no issues nor body damage. Just depends on your driving

Back