• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

burning smell form new exhaust?

98xjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a dynomax cat back a week ago and ever since it has smelled like oil burning or something like that. It isnt as bad as when i first put it on but after a drive and i get out i can smell it. There was some smoke coming off the exhaust when i first drove it a few miles the first day but now there isnt any. Is this normal for a new exhaust and will it stop after awhile?

That's just the system breaking in. You get oil and grease on the exhaust when installing it, there might be a thin layer of oil on some of the parts to protect against rust while shipping, the inside of the exhaust is getting hot and burning off stuff. What I'm saying is don't worry about it. It'll be gone pretty soon.

That's just normal, you'll see smoke rolling up from the exhaust too usually..

When they make the pipes and bend/cut them and all, they use machine oil to keep it all cool... Well when your sending 250+ degree exhaust through it, it burns it off...

Just for the first couple days and all dont be high revving and flooring it, just take it easy to let the oil burn off and the new exhaust to settle in.

But I had the same worry when I did my flowmaster cat-back, I got out and was like "Smoke!? FIRE!? Oh man.." But then it dawned on me.

The pipes are coated in a thin film of oil to keep them from rusting while on the shelf. Who wants to buy rusty pipes? However I see it everyday , I work at the Toyota engine plant and when they fire them up they burn the oil off the manifold. Glad I am not in production running the test benches that shit gets thick in there even with exhaust vents. So as everyone else said, as long as you don't see fire, it will be ok.

Quick question since we are talking about exhausts. Just got my new rustys flowmaster setup and am going to install it tom. I have a 01 xj and rustys says you have to cut the flange off the muffler. Anyone have any expierinece with this setup and could lend a few comments.

Back