• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc Brake swap for an XJ D44

jakeWI

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched the forum but only came up with one that is decent and has pictures.

Ok so I have a XJ D44 that I want to do a disc brake swap on. The two most popular swaps I have come across are the ZJ D35 disc swap and the Ford 8.8 disc swap. Which one is easier or do you guys prefer and why?

Also, say I went with the ZJ D35 swap, do I need the dust shield and ebrake stuff? Or can I do without? The best link I could find for that swap is... http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/BAzjRearDiscsOnXJ/ZJrearDiscsOnXJ.htm

I still need to get my hands on some caliper brackets. Otherwise I am buying brand new shoes, rotors and calipers because I am getting 20% off and free shipping so it comes out to as cheap as a lot of people are selling junkyard setups.

Out of the things I said I am buying brand new, what else do I need for the D35 setup? I know the caliper bracket, anything else for sure?

Thanks,
Jake

You need either the teraflex spacer or new TJ retaining plates, which require new axle seals and bearings.

The ebrake stuff really depends on whether you need an e-brake or not, say for inspections.

I just did the explorer swap.

if you dont care about the ebrake, the crown victoria setup is also an option.
theyre all pretty much the same, just do it.

I am not convinced that the Rubi plates or the Tera spacer are the right thickness for the XJ 44.

I ran the rubi plates with my first 44 on the Tera Flex brake kit. The spacers they supplied were the same width. The Rubi plates were too thick then. When you torque the plates down, they start to bow. This happened with their spacer and a stock D44 retainer. A redrilled rubi retainer, and again with a rubi retainer and my Wilwood kit. You can see it here.

P1011829.jpg

I don't know who came up with that spacer dimension. But in my experience, it is too deep for the XJ D44.

From every thing Ive seen and read with the 44 the explorer set up is easier because you dont have to modify the bolt pattern on the backing plate as much as the zj one and the spacer needs to be .225" thick You could either have a machine shop make them for you or make sure you get the spacer from the early 80's kit by tara flex I even think there kit is based off the explorer parts they look the exact same

Back