• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is it me or does weld primer suck

paulhead

I overtighten $#!t
Tried the expensive copper, had to sand off a little to get good conductivity it seems. Zinc is a little better but not much. I'm a super novice welder so a lot could my skill. Just seems when I grind it off I get a better bead. Doing frame stiffeners

I've been using the SEM Copperweld stuff -- Works great for me

Are you cleaning to bare metal before you prime? Not gonna work if your priming over crap.

I bought a can from amazon, then found it locally for $19 per can at an Auto paint supplier

Wow cheaper than amazon, yeah thats the stuff I use and yes, cleaning pretty good

What welder and wire are you using?

What are you welding on(body part)? What year? The later models have a heavy (aluminized ?) coating.

^ frame stiffeners

I've tried the zinc based weld through primer and got mediocre results. thought I may not have sprayed it on thick enough, ended up just welding to bare metal.

stiffeners is the one thing where I think it could work really well

75/25, INEFIL ER70S-6 .030-Inch

Not familiar with the wire brand, but it seems to get good reviews so it's probably just fine -- I was just checking to see that you where not trying to run Harbor freight wire

Most likely it's just you lack of experience -- welding frame stiffeners is tricky
Heavy, 3/16th fresh steel to paper thin, most likely rusted on the inside, tin

Then add in the out of position, hard to see, shit falling all over you places your welding -- it's just tricky

Biggest thing I can add is to be sure you don't hold the tip of the gun to far away from your weld. It's easy to do in that crap position. People tend to pull their gun away farther away just so they can see better -- makes for poor welds

What settings are you using on your welder? What gas flow rate?

Not familiar with the wire brand, but it seems to get good reviews so it's probably just fine -- I was just checking to see that you where not trying to run Harbor freight wire

Most likely it's just you lack of experience -- welding frame stiffeners is tricky
Heavy, 3/16th fresh steel to paper thin, most likely rusted on the inside, tin

Then add in the out of position, hard to see, shit falling all over you places your welding -- it's just tricky

Biggest thing I can add is to be sure you don't hold the tip of the gun to far away from your weld. It's easy to do in that crap position. People tend to pull their gun away farther away just so they can see better -- makes for poor welds

What settings are you using on your welder? What gas flow rate?
I think you nailed it. I changed wire speed and it was a world of difference.
But as soon as I changed angles it got out of wack and had to readjust. Got it done, ugly but it should hold.
80-20180511_044135_20f31647aacb4ca006859c9c595d15e40aca48c0.jpg

Back