• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newb question 2001 XJ

evoIX

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have a 2001 XJ with about 60k miles. I am the original owner. This jeep has had a 4" lift since new and 31" tires mudd or A/T for the life of the jeep so far. Overall, everything has held up well other than the brakes but that was to be suspected. But recently the AW4 w/ the np231 has been kicking into its gears as I accelerate. I am wondering if my clutch is the problem? This is my first jeep and my first automatic, any advice anyone may have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

evoIX said:
Hello,

I have a 2001 XJ with about 60k miles. I am the original owner. This jeep has had a 4" lift since new and 31" tires mudd or A/T for the life of the jeep so far. Overall, everything has held up well other than the brakes but that was to be suspected. But recently the AW4 w/ the np231 has been kicking into its gears as I accelerate. I am wondering if my clutch is the problem? This is my first jeep and my first automatic, any advice anyone may have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi and welcome Jason,

By "kicking into its gears", do you mean that it is shifting more firmly? If so, you likely need to adjust your TV (throttle valve) cable. A quick search here will show you how.

Dave

CantonXJ said:
Hi and welcome Jason,

By "kicking into its gears", do you mean that it is shifting more firmly? If so, you likely need to adjust your TV (throttle valve) cable. A quick search here will show you how.

Dave

Thanks. I just realized that when I removed my throttle body spacer I didn't remove the spacers that went under the throttle wire bracket.

Back